Chapter 4

The next day, thanks to Hua Cheng's care, Xie Lian was clad in his good old white cultivator robes, light and simple but for the butterflies embroidered on the sleeves. On his back hung a bamboo hat, and behind his back two black-clad generals followed without sparing a single word. As always, Hua Cheng walked by his side, their hands constantly brushing but not quite holding one another.

They were back at the Chance Encounter shop, and the master smiled at them, hurrying to bring four cups of tea to the group when Xie Lian ordered them.

He actually wanted a moment alone with Hua Cheng, but his old fellows refused to leave his side. Rubbing at the spot between his eyebrows, he ended up resorting to their private communication array, finding no other way: "Do you have something, San Lang? I don't know what should we do, with Mu Qing and Feng Xin glued to me like this", he told him, a bit disheartened. He hoped for the mission to go much faster than that, and he started to feel a little homesick.

In truth, he missed the Ghost City. Bustling with activity, yet hiding places where he could find his calm when he wanted, it became his perfect home. Ridiculous, maybe, now that he was a god once again, but a home nonetheless.

He missed Paradise Manor, missed the temple Hua Cheng built just for him – a temple that now had a purpose other than being beautiful –, missed even the gambling den and the hideous bets going on inside it. Being a god... Xie Lian didn't know if he could really get used to his godhood again. He was fine, living with Hua Cheng, peace of mind and peace of the body, in a life far from the endless memories of pain that still haunted him at night.

He already missed He Xuan and his misbehavior as well, the pleasant company still a bit tainted by the fact Xie Lian had to soak himself in freezing water in order to visit his manor. Meeting him as Ming Yi wasn't the same as having a light-hearted conversation with the real person behind the lie, after all.

He didn't want to ascend again, but now that he was there... it was better to work than to be lazy.

True to himself, Hua Cheng already thought about something, although it required him to go away for a while. Something that, even if useful, was not among his favorite things to do. Staying away from His Highness always saddened him, no matter if it was an hour or ten days.

"I have an idea, but it could be less than pleasant for gege", he told him, holding his hand under the table. RuoYe, that jealous spiritual device, gently swatted at his hand as if to make him go away.

"Go on".

"If this ghost only targets brides and marriage processions, it may be a good idea to host a fake one. That way, it would be possible to discover what's really happening behind those disappearances, without putting more lives in danger".

And Hua Cheng cared about not putting people's lives in danger, lest he upsets his husband. After all those years, he still wanted to save everyone. Only, he was a bit less naïve in his hopes. His words.

Xie Lian hummed, smiling at the tea master when he brought four cups to their table: "You're suggesting one of us should disguise himself as the bride, and then proceed from there. But won't we need some kind of escort as well?".

"The escort could be provided by the lord that reached the heavens with his prayers", Hua Cheng easily solved the issue. "It would be enough to tell him his men are needed to solve exactly his grievances".

It was a good plan, indeed.

But, before Xie Lian could agree, the sound of gongs and drums came from the main street again, and the four looked out the window.