Chapter 38

The swing of Fang Xin cut fabric and shadow in half, but when the fabric landed there was no soul behind it. Before Xie Lian could have the chance to rush up and check, something behind him made him shudder, all the hairs on his body standing up in alarm. He whipped his head around and was met with the sight of a robe, that at first sight looked exactly like a beautifully dressed woman.

From all around, as if awoken, there were a bunch of humanoid figures emerging, swaying and rocking, slowly gathering around the three of them.

As it turned out, all ninety-eight pieces of ghost robes had all struggled free from the racks.

Struck by a sudden revelation, Xie Lian immediately turned around to look at Hua Cheng, and broke into a cold sweat upon seeing him being affected as well, veins popping on the back of his pale hands and face scrunched up in pain.

The arousal of ghosts...! Another wave of it!

Mind spinning rapidly, caught between the danger they were in right that moment and the deep worry for Hua Cheng's safety, Xie Lian could do nothing while twenty or so robes pressed over. Luckily for them, Quan YiZhen didn't blink or think before his fist swung out.

However, even if his fist was powerful enough to move the earth and shake the mountains, all it reached was some clothes. Fabric was not rock or ground, it couldn't break even under a thousand-ton fist! No matter how hard Quan YiZhen swung his arms, that fabric could just wrap around his fists and incur no damage at all.

The only one able to do something in that situation was Xie Lian, armed with a fearsome sword, but fighting against a bunch of clothes was much more difficult that fighting against humans or monsters. Fabric barely had any weight, so detecting movements was almost impossible.

Some long ladies' dresses took advantage of Xie Lian's weakness against them and pressed so close not even Fang Xin could force them away, surrounding him with muslin and silk, pulling from all directions and aiming at his face at the same time.

Their intent was clearly to be worn, their harassment incessant, and more than once Xie Lian ended up with a mouthful of ghostly robe trying to suffocate him.

Struggling all the same, Quan YiZhen pulled off several pieces of children's clothing and tossed them aside: «How com those women's clothes all like you?», he wondered, taking a puzzled look at Xie Lian.

What kind of question was that?!

Exasperated, Xie Lian swung his sword horizontally and sliced a number of dresses, but the ghost robes cut in half still moved as they willed, now even more dangerous and sneaky. At least no clothes were targeting Hua Cheng, but the ghost was now ashen, the deadly pallor of his real skin looking extremely ghastly on a the face of a child.

Trapped between running to help him and fighting off more clothes, Xie Lian saw several ghost robes making their way towards the window and shouted: «Don't let them out!».

Two gods and one ghost could deal with the situation, but mortals couldn't. With Xie Lian's blessing gone from PuQi, no one was safe from the ghost robes.

His shout seemed to be too late; there was already a long robe fluttering its expansive sleeves, flying in the air like a giant bat. Xie Lian groaned inwardly, yelled at Qi Ying to keep the situation in check, and leapt off the wall to catch the hem of the robe.

Ghostly as it was, the weight of an entire person was entirely too much, so it plummeted to the ground. Before Xie Lian could call it a victory, though, the robe tore off its own corner like a warrior chopping his own arm off and slipped away from the god.