Chapter 27

--Beware! Sexy times with Hualian marked with ^^^^^^^^--

Three thousand lanterns...

All stayed silent for a while, as the information sunk in.

Never had anyone won three thousand lanterns in one single night at the Mid-Autumn Festival Banquet. In fact, no one had ever even imagined such a number to be possible. One thousand was already difficult to pass, three thousand was truly unheard of, without a single precedent in history, and it was even more that the count of all the other top ten added together!

Suddenly, there was a tidal wave-like uproar.

Some officials started blurting out that there must have been a mistake, that the lantern count was wrong, but what they had right in front of their eyes didn't lie. Nevermind thinking the announcer official could just happen to be wrong that one time, the night was lit up by hundreds upon hundreds of glowing lanterns. There was absolutely no way a mistake happened.

Thus, trying to explain how a thing such as that could be possible, someone suggested the lanterns might not be real Blessing Lanterns, but ordinary ones. However, even if few agreed, Shi QingXuan quickly debunked that hypothesis by pointing out that the lanterns reached the heavens, a feat no ordinary lantern could accomplish.

So, hitting a dead end, the officials changed track again, now asking about Qiandeng Temple, its whereabouts, who built it and when.

Hearing that, Xie Lian finally snapped out of his shocked reverie, and sighed loud enough for the attention to focus back on him: «Qiandeng Temple is in Ghost City», he explained. «It was built by my husband for me, a long time ago».

Of course, all the officials lost their mind. Destroyed by this unexpected thunder, incredulous and disbelieving, their tongue spitting with talk. Many were pale in the face, but kept talking despite the consequences it could bring upon them. Others decided to keep silent, still glancing at the barrage of lanterns no one could believe existed for the Scrap Immortal.

Just then, amused, Pei Ming chuckled: «What were you saying about Crimson Rain Sought Flower, during that play?».

All in all, it was funny.

In utter disbelief, the heavenly officials started yelling left and right, voices rising to speak of Hua Cheng and Xie Lian with far too much freedom, some in cheer and some in disappointment. Amidst all the chaos, suddenly, the sound of steady clapping hands came from the head of the feast.

The officials looked to the sound, and saw Jun Wu clapping slowly as he smiled at Xie Lian.

«Congratulations, Xian Le», he said. His intention was to help take the heat off of him, but there was sincerity behind his words. «You always manage to create miracles».

Grateful, Xie Lian bowed his head.

Seeing that exchange, the feast finally quieted down. If Jun Wu had nothing to say against it, then it meant that Qiandeng Temple was recognized by the heavens, and they had no right to keep complaining about it. After some hesitation, all took Jun Wu's lead and applauded, many shaking off their fear and incredulity to send their congratulations.

No matter how shocked, all the heavenly officials had to admit that this His Highness had always produced phenomena.

At least, that time the phenomena was positive.

With that, the Mid-Autumn Festival Banquet ended, and the relentlessly rumbling Thunder Master also packed up. Of course, the one who cheered the hardest was Shi QingXuan, no matter whose ranking rolled out. Always the first to applaud, except for Pei Ming's.