Chapter 33

Talking with Jun Wu had been weirdly invigorating. Xie Lian showed up at the Great Martial Hall dressed in beautiful, refined white robes but with a sense of dread looming over him, thinking over and over again about what he should tell to the Emperor, what he was going to be asked, how he needed to answer. He didn't think that meeting could end with him feeling refreshed, rather than emotionally exhausted.

Jun Wu didn't pry where he didn't need to. He didn't ask too many questions, only inquired about what he couldn't understand with just Xie Lian exposing the facts.

More considerate than Xie Lian could have ever imagined, given the situation.

After their talk, Jun Wu told him he was going to inform Ling Wen so they could have that part of missing history properly recorded, and then let him go.

Which surprised Xie Lian, because he was expecting to be asked to stay until everything was done. Not that he didn't trust Ling Wen or Jun Wu, but... without him there, she could literally write anything he wanted her to.

Despite the absurdity of his fear, Xie Lian made a mental note to ask He Xuan to take a peek in the new scroll that would soon appear in Ling Wen's library to make sure everything was fine. He had been through way too much slander to lower his guard, especially in a place like the Heavenly Capital. The respect he had for his friends did nothing to reassure him about pieces of his past he had to share with them. 

Not many could say to have such a dangerous person backing him up, but Xie Lian was more than grateful for it.

Not seeing anyone searching for him, and with his communication array silent, the god produced a pair of dice from his sleeves and threw them. The throw resulted in those snake eyes still plaguing him, but the result was nonetheless the one he wanted. Straight to Ghost City, right in front of Paradise Manor.

As he climbed up the stairs to the marvelous doors, ghosts shouting greetings at him left and right, in Xie Lian's mind there was only the comfort of finally being back home.

And, as soon as he entered, he found himself with a sudden armful of vibrating silver.

«E-Ming, don't jump like that, you could hurt someone», the god scolded the weapon, letting out an amused laugh. He scratched the scimitar right below the eye, just like he would do with a cat, and laughed even more when RuoYe peeked out from under his sleeve and greeted the weapon by coiling itself around it.

Eager, E-Ming rapidly blinked at him before yanking him forward, Xie Lian running with the weapon dragging him with laughter following throughout all the hallways they crossed. A couple of servants had to jump aside, scared of the scimitar, so the god yelled a couple of "I'm sorry" to the poor souls at some point his feet simply started sliding on the perfectly polished floors of the mansion, but E-Ming stopped just in time to avoid Xie Lian stumbling on the raised threshold of the armory.

Thankfully, because Hua Cheng turned around to see what was causing such a mess, and glared at his weapon.

E-Ming was so focused on being once again babied by Xie Lian that it didn't care in the slightest.

«Gege, you always pay attention to E-Ming more than me», Hua Cheng pouted, still glaring at the scimitar. «This San Lang will die of loneliness».

«No one will die of loneliness here», Xie Lian sighed. His husband, ever the dramatic one, made a show of raising a hand to his forehead and falling on the nearby chair the god often used when he wanted to take care of the weapons. He was so into it that some butterflies appeared all around to sadly flap their wings, as if they themselves were suffering from lack of Xie Lian closeness.