Chapter 24

They went back to PuQi Shrine two days later, bringing enough supplies that could allow Xie Lian to stay for at least a month without having to mingle with the villagers. The Crown Prince wanted to have some peace, a quiet place away from the bustling Ghost City and the still chaotic Heavenly Capital, and that meant he also wanted to avoid people as much as possible.

One or two, other than his husband, he could handle. More, he simply didn't want to.

As soon as the nightmares of his past returned, sudden and unexpected, Xie Lian made up his mind and asked Hua Cheng if they could go away for a while. And that's why, after those two days, they teleported back on the outskirt of the picturesque hamlet.

«I'm sorry to have taken you away from business», he apologized, falling on the bed in the corner of the room.

When they left, Hua Cheng was still busy with some renovations for the Gambler's Den. Xie Lian felt a bit guilty of having interrupted his work.

Hua Cheng put down their supplies, neatly organizing them in a corner of the small kitchen space, and shrugged: «Yin Yu can take care of what's left. I've already made sure to finish whatever needed to be supervised by me. Besides – he added, turning to smile at his husband – staying with gege is better».

The Crown Prince blushed at that, powdery white cheeks acquiring a faint shade of pinkish red.

He knew why Xie Lian requested to go back to PuQi Shrine so soon, and he knew why he made sure to have enough food to ensure their stay could have as little human interaction as possible. He had seen that state of mind before, where Xie Lian couldn't stomach being near too many people at once.

Paradise Manor, although a private residence, was still swarmed with ghost servants. Ghost City was loud, filled with ghosts and demons who enjoyed celebrating and shouting without resting.

Even if Xie Lian loved it, sometimes peace and quiet were a lot better for his mind to calm down.

It wasn't something exactly visible. Xie Lian didn't show any sign of distress, and his eyes were as clear as cold drips of morning dew, but deep inside him there was a hidden discomfort that would grow and grow until it was ready to burst out. The first time, Hua Cheng had no idea what was happening and didn't know how to deal with it; he only remembered how Xie Lian, out of the blue, snapped and yelled at him for the time of an incense stick, not even pausing to take a breath.

The second time, the outburst still happened but Hua Cheng knew how to deal with it and stopped the yelling with calm, soothing words before it could lead to another disaster.

The third time, Hua Cheng recognized the hints and brought Xie Lian to an isolated place, away from loud noises and chattering people. A place that was known as Nether Water Manor. He Xuan had been thoroughly confused when the Ghost King he owed money to showed up unannounced at his door, but Xie Lian was with him so he didn't make a big deal out of it.

Xie Lian suffered from many different things, that much was something Hua Cheng learned to understand soon in their relationship. Most of those breaking downs, they already overcome together. Nothing was nearly as severe as before, and what was left showed its face less and less every year.

A relief, really.

«Do you want to take a stroll in the forest?».

Grateful for the care showed to him by his husband, Xie Lian nodded: «I'd like it very much».

And, true to himself, he liked it very much.

The woods surrounding PuQi were beautiful, crossed by many streams and by a big, roaring river. It made sense for there to be so much water, as the village thrived on rice crops and was known for its water chestnuts, but it was fascinating nonetheless. The water was so clear and pure anyone could simply dip their hands in and drink a mouthful, fresh and cold as if taking it straight from the source; it reminded Xie Lian of a quiet little village he visited during his lone wanderings, hidden away and living on the simplest things.