Chapter 3 - The Obstinacy

'Aagya mera sher puttar

'Aagya mera sher puttar.'

I ran towards daadu. Seeing him like this is no less than a nightmare. He looks so pale and weak. I could feel my heart rate increase again.

'Daadu' I said slowly after holding his left hand in mine. I don't want to cry in front of him.

'Tera match hai na aaj? Tu kyu aaya aaj?' He said frowning a little.

(You have a match today, don't you? Why are you here?)

'Match se zyada important aap ho, Daadu.' I replied.

(You're more important than the match, Grandpa.)

He smiled at me.

My dad entered the room along with the nurse. The nurse saw me and his eyes widened as if he saw a ghost.

'Shubh, aagya tu. Bahar aaja thodi der ke liye, daadu ko medicines deni hai aur unke kapde change karne hai.' Dad said.

(Shubh, you're here. Come outside for some time, they need to give medicines to Grandpa and change his clothes.)

I nodded and got up. I walked towards my dad with tears welling up in my eyes. Dad kept his hand on my shoulder trying to comfort me.

As soon as I got out of the room, I turned towards Dad and hugged him. I cried silently and he let me. My family has always been very supportive towards expressing our emotions. They have never asked me to not cry or to stop crying. They never taught me things like 'Ladke rote nahi.'

(Boys don't cry.)

I don't cry much in general but it's Daadu and maybe I'm just not at my very best at the moment, mentally.

Dad was comforting me and I'm so grateful to god for giving me such a great family. I can be a baby and they'll still love me.

After I could finally control my emotions, I backed away a little, wiped my tears and took a deep breath. I looked at dad and It felt like he was hanging by a thread too.

'What happened to Daadu?' I asked slowly.

'He got Pneumonia.' Dad replied blinking his eyes very fast as if he was trying to blink his tears away.

'At first, he just had cough and I kept asking him to go to the doctor with me but he always refused and then suddenly the day before yesterday, he got fever and started complaining of difficulty in breathing.' He explained.

'We brought him here and the doctors did some blood and radiological tests on him. They said that he's going into respiratory failure and started the oxygen therapy. He's having difficulty breathing on his own.'

'They also said that the infection has caused a lot of damage to his lungs and they're trying their best to treat it but anything can happen so, we should be mentally prepared.' He said slowly taking a deep breath.