Chapter 4 - The Inevitable

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. Who does this now? We're in 2023 and our grandparents are still doing this to us?

Dosti ko rishtedaari me badalni hai. What the actual fuck?

I wanted to talk to Baba and tell him that I can't do this and all this is happening too early.

I need some time. I'm not against marriage or anything but maybe I'm just a little paranoid and have some trust issues.

I never had a partner nor do I have one at the moment because I always knew that I'm going to have an arranged marriage. My parents are a little afraid of love marriages given the scary examples in our family.

It's not like all these things can't happen in arranged marriage, they can but I don't know, it's weird. I know they won't be against me having a love marriage if I ever ask them for one but I also know it'll be difficult for them to understand but they'll accept it if it ever happens.

So, the only reason I don't want to get married right now is that all this is happening too soon. If I was given some time I wouldn't have really minded but I was just informed about the situation and due to the circumstances I know they would want us to be married as soon as possible which is something that I don't want.

I want my time to understand the person I'll be married to. I need to know that person enough to actually want to marry him. What if he already has a partner? What if he's not a nice person? What if he hates me and doesn't treat me right? What does he like? Will he even accept me under all these circumstances? So many questions and no one to answer them.

My parents understand and they are absolutely against this but my grandfather is being very persistent. He's reluctant to listen to my parents. He says that 'He knows Didar and his family is nice.'

What about me? Why won't he listen to his own Granddaughter?

I tried talking to him but he's way too emotional to understand at the moment. As if this surprise wasn't enough, now I'm being told to get married tomorrow itself.

Didar Uncle's condition deteriorated a few minutes ago and his son called baba informing him about it. After that conversation, my grandfather wants us to leave for Punjab as soon as possible.

What am I supposed to do? Should I run away? Par jaungi kaha teen hi dost hai mere aur sabka address ghar walo ko pata hai.

(But where will I go? I only have three friends and my family knows their address.)

I'm so done with this situation and I'm really not interested in talking about it anymore. The only thing I can do right now is sleep.

I went to my room and tried sleeping.

After half an hour someone knocked at my door.

It's my mother and she has a dejected look on her face.