estrellas~chapter 10

I wake up and I realize it's the fourth of July, my favorite day in the summer. I still haven't talked to Jeremiah about what happened on the night of Belly's birthday. I doubt he even remembers.

There was already so much drama from Taylor and Steven. When I found out they made out I felt so disappointed as a sister. I haven't talked to Shayla too much but still, cheating is a no-go.

"Can I finish your milk?" Jeremiah asked me.

"Go for it," I slide him the bowl and laugh, I don't know if I could ever not love this boy.

Conrad walks in, "Yo, I'm gonna go wash the clams," he says to Jeremiah, "Did you get the lighter fluid?"

"Yeah, it's already on the beach." Jeremiah walks outside.

Susanah walks in and sits down next to me, "Hey Laur-Laur, who is going to be your escort?"

"Um," I kind of forgot I needed an escort.

Susanah says to Steven, "What about you Steven? Want to be Lauren's escort?"

"What? No, besides I'm already going with Shayla."

I just look down to the ground. I had completely forgotten I needed someone to take me.

"Conrad?" Susanah asks him last. I look up at him.

"Sure. I'll take you, Lauren." Connie says, I was not expecting him to say yes.

I get up and hug him, "Thank you so much, Connie."

I wish Jeremiah had asked me. I could imagine us walking down that stage together, hand in hand. But, that was a dream, I have to live in reality. In reality, I'm going with Conrad.

~

My father arrives shortly after and we meet his new girlfriend, Victoria. She seems nice enough. Very young, however. She seems more like a friend than a future stepmother.

For some reason, when Mr.Fisher arrives, tension between him and Susannah is in the air. But, Jeremiah was happy so I was happy.

The Deb girls arrive as well and we are all hanging out at the beach when Belly brings over what looks like a Slurpee, Cam Cameron follows behind her.

"What is that?" Gigi asks.

"A Pomegranate Margarita," Belly answers.

I don't feel like drinking tonight so I watch everyone join in on a drinking game.

Eventually, I get bored and I leave. As I'm walking back to the house I hear Jeremiah call my name.

"Lauren!" I turned around, "Where are you going?"

"I have a headache, I'm just going to go hang out with the moms," I say.

"Oh... okay." He asked, why did he sound so disappointed.

~

I'm sitting with my Mom and Susanah when I hear everyone leaving, I'm confused, I thought they were staying for fireworks.

I run to the front and see the girls getting in a car. Then there is a drunk Belly wandering around. Oh God, what did she do?

To ease the air Sussanah grabs her cake.

"Alrighty, who wants cake?" She asked.

Right behind her, Belly said, "I want the one with the strawberries!" She was cut off by her actions. She had tripped and sent Sussanah following down after her.

My Mother ran to Belly as Adam ran to Susanah.

"I'm fine!" Sussanah lectured.

I don't know if I have ever seen her mad before.

"I'm sorry..." Belly said.

Susanah took off and all that was left was a drunk Belly and a broken cake.

~

The sun starts to set and I find my way to the beach. I just stare off wondering what I'm going to do. All I wanted was for Jere to take me to the ball, but rather instead his brother is.

As I'm deep in thought Jeremiah Fisher finds me.

"Boo!" He yells.

I pretend to be scared which makes him laugh.

"Why were you so distant today? I thought you loved the Fourth of July?"

"I do, it's just, I don't know. I'm worried about Conrad." I say.

"Don't be, he's just being dramatic. He still is the same old Connie."

"I guess..." I replied.

"You know Lauren..."

"What Jere?"

"I think I agree with my Mom."

"What do you mean?" I say.

We both start to slowly lean in. Both of our eyes locked in on our lips.

Jere and I are inches from connection when a firework shoots in our direction. Perfect, my one chance to show Jeremiah how I feel.

We bolt out of the way before it can hit us and turn to see that Conrad set it off.

What.

The.

Fuck.

Jeremiah and I ran back to the house.

"Conrad what the fuck!" Jeremiah screamed, "You could've hurt us!"

Conrad remains silent.

"Whatever, fuck this," Jeremiah storms off.

"Why did you do that Connie?" I ask. His actions hurt me. That could have been the moment that Jere and I kissed!

I noticed tears started to form in his eyes. I sighed, loosened my grip on my fists, and went to hug him. This is when I saw how fragile Conrad Fisher was. He had started to cry. I walk him over to the couch and just comfort him while he bawls.

"I'm here, let it out, Connie." I brush his hair back while he sobs.

~

Eventually, his breathing calms down and the sobs become quiet. I am still holding him in my arms.

"Hey Lauren," he whispers.

"Yeah?" I answer back.

"Thank you," he says.

"Of course," I replied while rubbing his back.

"I'm sorry for what I did."

"It's okay, that's in the past. Let's focus on you" I reply.

He nods his head.

"You can tell me anything, you know." I keep rubbing his back and I feel him become stiff.

"I..." he chokes out, "It-it's my..." He begins to cry again.

"Shhh, it's okay, you don't have to say," I continue to rub his back until he eventually falls asleep.