estrellas~chapter 19

(A/N FLASHBACKS ARE IN ITALICS)

Prom was almost as great as homecoming, the only issue being Conrad. I made excuses for him in my head, maybe it was just lame, or perhaps he was too old to enjoy a school dance. But, there was no excuse for how he treated my sister.

"Let me see their corsages!" Sussnah yelled from the iPad.

For Prom, I wore a Green Chic Long Satin Dress. It was tight until my waist and extended out. Jere wore his Tux and a Green satin tie to match my dress. He had bought me a white corsage with some green accents, it was so cute.

"Thank you, I love it!"

I have a bright smile while I turn over and see disappointment all over my sister's face, Conrad forgot her corsage.

I should have known things were going to only get worse when I never even saw Connie and Belly on the dance floor. I shouldn't have been so focused on myself. All night I was dancing with Jere, instead I should've been checking in on Belly.

It's the end of the night and I check my phone for the first time, I have a single text from Belly.

One New Message

Conrad and I left early, have fun with Jere-Bere

I should have known it was weird, but I thought maybe they had just wanted some alone time.

~

"It was funny," Belly says.

"What was?" I ask.

"I met their cousin, Skye."

"They have a cousin?" I ask, I honestly had no idea.

"Yeah, I guess." She laughs and that makes me smile.

"I'm sorry Jere is being such an asshole to you."

"Me too. I just..." I fidget with my rings, "I wish he could know how I still want to be there for him, no matter how bad he treats me all I want to do is give him a hug and tell him everything is okay."

"Um... Lauren," Belly starts to say.

"No, I know it's silly but I can't imagine ever loving someone the way I loved him, love him, you know? Like, how do I just give up all of that and throw it away? I just can't..."

Someone clears their throat from behind. There was Jeremiah, my... Jeremiah was standing there.

I was shocked, I just wanted to sit there and drown.

"Um," I move my hair out of my face and play with my rings more.

Belly stands up out of nowhere, "You two should talk." She ran as fast as she could out of the situation, what I would give to do that.

He sits next to me.

We just stare off in silence. The love of my life is sitting right next to me and I can't grab him, or kiss him, or even just look at him without making everything worse.

I didn't realize it, but I was crying. Tears were falling out of my eyes. The last time I let him see me cry was at the funeral. I never wanted to feel that weak again. But, I just couldn't help it.

I looked over to see if he noticed and he was crying too. We just stare at one another. Both of us were weeping next to each other.

"I'm.." we both say at the same time.

"No," he says, "Me first."

"I'm sorry Lauren, I really needed you and I pushed you away, I'm so sorry, I was so angry at my Dad, at Connie, at the world. I needed you and I left you, I'm so sorry," he says while tears stream down his face.