Is that a backstory I smell? (16)

"But Mom, I don't want to go to school today, I don't feel well" Noelle complained as she curled up in her bed, trying her hardest to look sick. It was her eight birthday so obviously she was going to try and stay home.

Her mother smiled, her smile was so radiant it could light up a dark room with no trouble, her father said it was one of the reasons he fell in love with her.

"Nice try sweetie, but I know better"

Noelle's mother patted her head softly, then kissed her forehead. "But since it's your birthday I'll let it slide, only this once though"

Noelle giggled and pulled her duvet over her, enjoying the heat and protection of it on the cold winter morning.

"But, I'll have to leave you alone for a while, I have to bring your father to Faiyum for his lecture, it won't take long though"

Just as her mother finished speaking, her father walked into the bedroom. He was struggling to fix his tie with one hand due to the other supporting him on his cane.

"Happy birthday, amirti." Her father smiled at her, then turned to his wife just as she stood up and walks over to him, fixing his tie for him. Smiling, he asked:

"Are you ready to go? I can't afford to be late, it's my first lecture. You know how much effort and sweet talking it took just to covince them to hire me, nevermind what would  happen if I'm late on the first day."

Even at his pessimistic words, her father couldn't contain his excitement at the thought of teaching Faiyoum University. He used to work as an archaeologist after all. But sadly, he had to stop after an injury which causes him to walk around with a limp. One of the tombs he was exploring collapsed, heavily injuring his right leg, hence the cane.

Noelle giggled to herself at the thought of being left home alone, it's not like it's the first time it's happened, but the other times were only for a few minutes max.

This time, it will take at least thirty minutes to get to Fayoum University, and her mother will have to stay there as well...

Noelle watched with excited eyes as her parents walked out of her bedroom, waving goodbye as they do. Once she heard their door open and close, she climbed out of bed and looked out her window.

Her parents looked back at the house and smiled, giving her a small wave as they get into their car, a nice BMW which her father bought about a year ago. They started it and started driving away. They are barely onto the road before the car blew up.

...

The car blew up?

Pieces of flaming car flew into the air as the fire continued to grow. Noelle's innocent eyes widened in horror as she sprinted downstairs, nearly falling headfirst onto the floor at the speed.

She bursted out the door just as people started to crowd around the fire, some neighbours with buckets of water, trying to douse the fire.

But it's to no avail, the fire continued to grow, incinerating all. Noelle started to cry as she screamed:

"Mom! Dad!..... Get out!"

Her cries went unanswered and it's not long before she was in a police station holding a glass of water while one of the officers sat beside her.

Her eyes were red and puffy from all the crying, she would still be crying if she hadn't run out of tears. It all felt so surreal to the young girl. Her birthday was meant to be a happy day... so why wasn't it happy?

"I'm here... where is she?" A man askez as he walks into the police station. He looked to be about thirty-five and resembled Noelle's father.

"Hello Mr Hafez" One of the officers greeted him as he walked in the door.