Before the war (59)

The atmosphere in The Dome was dreary. Even with Failure's speech still echoing through the moon beasts minds, tensions were high.

They were scared, it was understandable. It was do or die at this point. The fact that they had to rely on their elder to save them should have been a horrifying fact for the variety of beasts.

But it wasn't.

Aldred was their ray of hope, their shining beacon for a prominent future. If the figurehead who was Aldred fell, it would be the end for them all.

So they didn't panic, they had absolute faith in their elder. After all, if they didn't have faith...

What else could they have?

Kai watched the body language of all the moon beasts as he leisurely strolled through The Dome. Their posture, eyes, their tail, anything that was a tell about how they felt he spotted.

It was a tragic sight.

It reminded Kai of war refugees from Earth. They would either die or end up without a home, and those that do survive would have a constant struggle to build a better life for themselves.

One of the moon wolves tail was sagging, their was a boar stumbling his way to the defensive bulwark. Kai spotted everything.

He himself didn't really know what to think. It was all a bit much that was happening in the first place.

Mystical forest where the moon kills you, talking beasts with unnatural powers, and even a man who had to be thousands of years old and was basically a grandpa to all these beasts yet he still looked so young.

It was kind of tragic.

But along with the tragic came the hopeful.

Wa'rak was commanding a small but elite unit of moon beasts. His team consisted of the boar which spoke up about not liking humans at the meeting, the stag who refereed his and Noelle's fight and one of the wolves Kai had seen Umbra training with while he went XP farming with Aldred.

There was two other beasts, another boar and a strange looking bear. Kai had not seen both around The Dome before, but they must be strong if Wa'rak picked them.

Everyone in the team was a quarter moon beast, and the best of the best at that.

When Kai asked the arrogant wolf what he was going to name the team, the wolf responded by telling him it was called Team A.

Kai felt a little nostalgic at the name, and a little angry that the wolf had ruined a perfect joke set-up, but Kai let it slide as he would much rather not have the wolf going even harder on him in training that evening.

That was two days ago.

It was the day before the duel between Aldred and The Demon of the Dark Side. Kai had barely slept in the last two days, he was scared to.

What if he just didn't wake up? Even though he's been in the forest for nearly a month, there's still lots of it that's unknown. What's to say there isn't a secret full moon beast wandering the forest or even guarding some incredibly strong hidden tutorial item?

Kai quickly dismissed the thought. If there was another full moon beast on the side of the abominations, Aldred probably would have sniffed it out by now, and if there was another full moon beast Aldred or Failure would have tried to recruit it.

If there was another full moon beast though...

Kai shuddered, then continued to watch all the going ons around him.

It was relaxing, in a strange sort of way.

Recently, Kai had felt as if his life was flashing before his eyes, only it wasn't. It was just that the days preceding the duel felt like the end of the world.