Soul Sight (49)

Even though Kai just accomplished an incredible feat, his bloodline and his innate ability did not react. The only thing which did react was his mind, which was currently on the verge of collapsing.

Trapped inside the brain of an abomination in the depths of a lake was not where Kai wanted to be, especially when he was about to die in a few moments.

His vision started to cloud as his thoughts slowed. The thought of just giving up was very appealing to Kai right now, but Nonchalance made sure it remained just that, a thought.

There was only one way Kai could survive, but it all relied on luck. Since his Luck stat was way above average it should work.

Hopefully.

Dismissing the Lycan form of his innate ability, Kai said a quick prayer as he activated his innate ability again. Only this time, he didn't use Umbra as the base.

Wraith mode activated

...

"Ah... ahaha... ahahahaha!"

Kai couldn't hold back his laughter, and his tears, as he breathed in the sweet taste of absolutely nothing.

Having no body meant Kai didn't have to breathe, and not having to breathe meant Kai was no longer drowning.

"I'm alive!"

Screaming at the top of his non-existent lungs, not caring if there was another primordial horror sleeping at the bottom of the lake, Kai celebrated like there was no tomorrow.

Because there almost was.

Still, even though he was alive for now, Kai had little Mana left, meaning he couldn't sustain this form for long.

Quickly willing himself to move upwards, his ethereal body obeyed as the water started to get lighter and brighter.

Just the fact the water got lighter was enough to calm Kai a little, although he was still trembling after that near-death experience.

Rising to the top of the water, Kai took a massive breath, even though he didn't need to, and looked towards Wa'rak.

The wolf seemed to be in a state of confusion as to why all the tentacles stopped attacking him, it seems that he didn't even notice Kai was not beside him.

Just as Kai was about to attempt to activate the telepathic link, Wa'rak turned his head and-

His eyes filled with abject horror.

Though as quick as the look appeared, it was gone. The arrogant wolf shivered slightly as he trotted behind one of the gargantuan trees.

Kai panicked and thought there was another terrible enemy behind him, but when he turned to look he was alone in the lake.

What's his problem?

Ignoring the wolf's attitude for now, Kai flew over towards the lakeside. Sadly, his Mana ran out before he reached it, meaning he had to swim the last bit in the cold water.

Pulling himself onto dry... semi-dry land, Kai collapsed onto his chest as he caught his breath. His tunic and bodysuit clung tightly to him, the tunic offering a little solace to the cold. Kai had long dismissed his Pretty Good Shoes as he learned that they didn't fit on his Lycan form.

Wa'rak slowly trotted over, the wolf's shiny and slightly damp body standing right over Kai.

Answering the unsaid command, Kai activated the telepathic link and let the wolf speak first while he caught his breath.