Speech of Failure (80)

Every moon beast and human that had gathered under the protection of the Mother Tree turned to where the voice came from. No one had expected it, yet they all felt drawn to look at where it came from.

The voice was like torture to the ear, Kai thought his ears would start bleeding after hearing those three words. It was grating, deep and sounded like whatever the voice belonged to had just clawed out from the deepest depths of hell. It was just too much.

But when Kai saw the source of the voice...

He trembled.

Standing at the edge of the Dome of the Mother Tree was a tall abomination with four arms. The abomination towered over any human present and wore nothing, its entire hideous body free for all to see. Even though it looked humanoid, it was easy to tell that it was anything but.

It's flesh looked harder than all the other abominations Kai had seen, which didn't really make sense, but it just did. Kai instinctively knew that he would never be able to deal even the smallest amount of damage to that terrifying creature, even if he went all out.

In the Demon's four arms were three weapons.

As for why it was three, Kai remembered that in the mural, the fourth was missing. Kai had no idea as to why that was, but if the Demon only had three weapons, it was better than if it had four, right?

Just like in the mural, the Demon wielded a rapier, a claymore and a double headed axe. Each glinted with malice as Kai swallowed as he gazed at the blades. Quite frankly, Life Eater could not compete. The three weapons the Demon had in its arms were almost as terrifying as itself.

It was a little unfair that the Demon got weapons while Aldred fought with his body, but what could Kai do about it? Complain to HR?

Sadly, it only got worse after the Demon emerged from the shadows of the forest. Surrounding the army of moon beasts, countless abominations emerged from behind the trees.

Majority had a crescent moon somewhere on their body, but Kai could see that there was still quite a few quarter and gibbous moon ones mixed among the crowd

Luckily, there was no other full moon abomination than the Demon.

There was also dozens of humans among the legion of abominations. Unlike the humans on the moon beast side though, each human had the same set of metal armour wrapped around their body's

It was a dark silver with a red crystal embedded in its chest. The crystal had a demonic gleam to it, like it was alive.

But while the humans looked like they were all about business, their expressions said the opposite.

They were all white with fear, scared for their lives. That was when Kai remembered what Failure said in one of their previous conversations.

That while he would not force any humans to fight in the war, the Demon most certainly would.

And it turns out that Failure was right once again. Each human looked like they did not want to be there. In fact, they all looked absolutely exhausted. Each one of them had deep, black bags under their eyes and looked as if they could pass out at any second.

But they also looked full of energy. But that didn't make sense, how could they be full of energy yet so tired?

There was two answers to that question, either they were injected with something, or the Demon had traumatised them and trained them into complete obedience.

"It is time indeed. I must say, it is quite rambunctious of you to challenge our dear Aldred to a duel like this, don't you think? Go on, answer me, Sir Dick- Oh, sorry, Sir Demon."