Drink your fears away (64)

Kai was so entranced with the beautiful tree that he nearly jumped off of the rock when the hand appeared over his shoulder.

Kai turned his head quickly and saw who the hand and can belonged to. Behind him stood Sofia. The pale woman still looked absolutely beautiful even though she had to have been going through the same amount of stress, well, maybe a bit less than Kai.

It seemed that even the hardships that one endures in this forest can't stop attractive people from being attractive.

Kai sighed in regret.

"Oh, hey Sofia."

Sofia remained standing silently for a few moments, which had Kai confused.

"Oh."

Once he realised what she wanted, Kai moved over a bit on the rock so she would have some room to sit.

Sofia sat down beside him, handing him the can. They were so close to each other, their shoulders were touching, yet Kai felt nothing stir within him.

Kai inwardly sighed.

He didn't want to admit it again in fear of what happened with Noelle, but he knew in his heart...

He still viewed Sofia as a friend.

"I didn't know you were a sly person, trying to trick Mr Tuxedo into letting you take a drink. Who else have you tricked before this?"

Kai chuckled softly as he felt the dampness on the can seep into his palms.

"I'm not sly, just... experienced in the art of misleading people."

Sofia laughed, which made Kai smile in return. Her face was pretty when she laughed.

"So what is it that you wanted?"

Kai asked he cracked open the can Sofia gave him. The drink inside looked like the one he had previously, but it didn't have the golden glow the other one had.

"Just to talk." Sofia shrugged. "It was getting overbearing in there."

"Oh yeah." Kai chuckled again. "I'm sure you were having your fun with that guy who approached you."

Sofia snorted in response.

"Don't be like that, I'm sure you had your fair share of damsels hoping you would clear out their tower."

Kai fell silent as he studied Sofia's expression for any sign of... anything.

He failed.

"You know, I can't tell are you just making fun of me or you genuinely believe I have a shot with women."

Sofia shrugged.

"I'll leave that up to your mind to decide."

Sighing, Kai shook his head and changed the subject.

"What did that guy even say for you to reject him that badly?"

Sofia smiled softly for a few moments before answering in a slightly quieter tone.

"He made fun of the company I keep."

Oh...

"Plus, he asked if I would be able to convince Noelle to join us as well."

Kai, who was just about to take a sip of apple bear, nearly dropped his can in shock.

"So he was a dickhead?"

Sofia laughed.

"I was nearly certain that his ego was bigger than him."

Kai smiled, happy that he wasn't spending his time alone tonight...