Chapter Five; Question of Succession

Six Years Later

Visenya's grandfather, Lord Corlys Velaryon, had fallen ill due to a fight he had been part of while going off sailing. It was an ambush he had planned but when he went to fight his neck was slashed by a corsair's dagger making him fall overboard into the sea. Due to his wounds he was unable to attend council meetings or direct Driftmark.

His wife Rhaenys, Visenya's grandmother, ruled the Driftwood throne in his absence though it was very troubling due to Vaemond, Corly's brother, wanting to claim his rightful place by sitting himself on the throne. Rhaenys continued ruling and would always bring Baela with her as her ward. Rhaenys would reject every demand Vaemond made by reminding him that Lord Corlys had already chosen Lucaerys Velaryon as his heir and would be their final word.

Back in Dragonstone, it was a cloudy morning and Daemon had gone out to the Dragonmont to fetch the clutch of dragon eggs Syrax had layed. There were three eggs and Daemon could not have been more excited. He gave the eggs to the dragon keepers, but in return the dragon keepers gave him a scroll that Baela had sent from Driftmark. The scroll contained news of Vaemond's plan to petition the king to be made heir to Driftmark by questioning the legitimacy of Rhaenyra's sons.

Inside Dragonstone, Jacaerys was struggling to practice his High Valyrian with Maester Gerardys while Visenya was sitting in her chair watching him fail and would from time to time help him.

Their mother, Rhaenyra, entered the room watching them with a smile as they were all bonding together. Jace learning High Valyrian with Visenya and Lucearys reading a book with Joffrey accompanied by a maid.

As Jace continued to struggle Rhaenyra opted to finish the session by suggesting to end it.

"Perhaps that's enough for this morning," Rhaenyra said looking at Jace.

"No, no. I- I want to continue." Jace said looking at his mother with determination.

Rhaenyra and Visenya looked at each other with a faint smile showing contentment to see Jace's determination to learn, but Rhaenyra looked back at Jace with a slight frown.

"I don't expect you to learn High Valyrian in a day, Jace." Rhaenyra told Jace with a soft voice.

"As a Targaryen I must. I shall continue the long history and one day even teach my children as well." Jace continued.

"Well... I am glad you are taking the time, but do not push yourself too hard." Rhaenyra ended.

The words of her mother made Visenya's eyes grow soft. Her mother was caring and considerate. She quickly went to look at Jace to see his reaction. Jace only looked down nodding at his mother.

The moment was interrupted by Daemon entering the room with the news that he had received earlier at the Dragonmont from Baela.

"Leave us," Rhaenyra commanded everybody present and so at her command everyone left.

Moments later the news of departure from Dragonstone to Kings Lading were revealed. They had to be present for the question of succession for the Driftwood throne in Kings Landing.