A Common Thief

Episode One: The Yankee Dodge

Elizabeth was in a daze. What could she do? She was self-trained for cases like this, but she never thought it would happen. Before she could even think, she was snatching Smales's cane and untying her hair, using the bandana as a tourniquet and tightening it perfectly. Belle ushered crowds away as Elizabeth worked on Charlie.

She knew Charlie. She knew almost every single person in Port Victory. She easily the people's Lady. She had befriended the whole population of the colony, so this was very important to her.

She smiled down at the boy with pity, who was panicking.

"Charlie, hey. Charlie boy, look at me. I'm going to get a doctor. Okay? We can fix this. Breathe. Stay calm, you have to stay calm for me," She breathed with the boy as she turned to Belle, silently telling her to yell for a doctor.

Belle nodded. "We need a doctor! Someone help!"

Charlie was calmer, but still yelling in pain, as was expected. "Lady Eliza? You won't take it right?" He looked at her. She smiled softly. "No. I promise. And you know you can call me Eliza." She booped his nose, making him smile and effectively distracting him.

Finally, a doctor came. A handsome young man, blonde with brown eyes, he had a lean, muscular build and white skin. Elizabeth locked eyes with him as he kneeled down to the ground. He too was lost in her eyes. The Fox girl temporarily forgot where she was. Even when she looked away, she sensed his gaze on her hair.

"Uh, sorry. I tied the tourniquet, but I might have done it wrong, I don't know-"

"It's perfect," he said in wonder.

"Oh."

He cleared his throat and they were immediately back from their oblivion. The doctor looked over Charlie as the young boy whimpered. "It's alright, we are going to get you all sorted out."

Belle kneeled next to them. "Can you fix it?"

The doctor clicked his tongue. "I am going to have to amputate."

Belle did not like this. "What about Bircher's procedure to save it?" She suggested sharply.

Elizabeth winced. She certainly didn't want Charlie to lose his leg either, as she had promised him he wouldn't, but he was the doctor.

"Miss please." He groaned.

"Milady."

The middle Fox child decided to butt in. "To do that, he would have to drill into Charlie's leg bones and insert pegs to knit them together again. He would die of shock and pain."

The mystery surgeon pointed at her. "Exactly."

The strawberry blonde shook her head. "You didn't let me finish. You should do it. You can take away the pain with ether."