Free at Last

"Edward Matthew Williams!" Belle cursed under her breath

Elizabeth was frozen as Fanny started to shake her shoulders excitedly. 

She should be happy, right? Or was she mad? Was she mad that her best friend hadn't told her of the prestigious promotion he had been given?

Was she worried about the dangers of being the leader of the guard?

Well, she was surprised.  That was for certain.  But she quickly discovered another emotion erupting within her.

"Woooh!  Go, Eddie!" Elizabeth clapped along with her cheer.  Belle let out a defeated huff and started clapping as a grin snuck its way onto her face.

No one could mistake the relieved sigh of the new Captain as he stepped onto the gallows platform. 

"Thank you, everyone.  As you already know, my name is Edward Williams. I was the personal security detail of the Fox family for 3 years before being hired for this position.  I would just like to thank my built in family for this.  The Governor and his wife, of course,"

He paused to look at Edmund beside him and then Jane with the girls, who blew back a motherly kiss.

"Fanny, and Lizzie, my best friends,"

Fanny squealed and waved, jumping up and down while the latter winked at him.

"And finally, my true love.  Belle Fox, thank you for always supporting me.  I love you." 

'Aws' filled the square.  Belle merely blushed and looked down at her feet.

Edward continued, "but I don't want to talk about me.  Instead, I want to talk about two men.  You might know them as the magnificent Dr. Jack Dawkins and his righteous convict servant, Norbert Fagin.  Bring 'em out, Louie!"

A guard marched around the corner with two prisoners who were too defeated to rebel.

And one of them made Elizabeth's heart leap.

Jack.

Before she realized what she was doing, Belle's and Fanny's arms were encircled around her, holding her back. 

The strawberry blonde studied his features.  His eyes, with bags under them, looked sad.  His hair was dusty and tussled, clearly unwashed.  He still had the same clothes on as he did a month ago, she could tell from the blood stains on his sleeves. 

Fagin, however, was smiling. As always. Elizabeth couldn't help but grin at the old man.

"First of all, Norbert Fagin, who thieved all his life to keep his adopted son alive. However, he served time for that. The only evidence we have that he should be hanged is this, signed by Lucien Gaines, two months ago. Suspicious activity. He was the only guard who signed," The blonde guard explained. "So is it really reliable?"

With that he ripped up the death warrant. Gasps were heard from the crowd. Belle and Elizabeth shared a mischievous look. They heard their mother murmuring, "what is he doing?"

Edward pulled another warrant out. "Next, a death warrant for the murder of Lucien Gaines." He turned to his guard friend. "Phil, who fired the gun?"

"Red, the crook, sir."

"So it wasn't Norbert Fagin?"

"No, sir."

Rip.

Belle tried to hold in a laugh. Elizabeth snorted.

Captain Williams cleared his throat. "Mac, set him loose."

Yells were heard from the crowd.

"He's a thief!"

"This is an outrage!"

"Hang him!"

Ed was unfazed. He cleared his throat and the crowd calmed down. Fagin patted a now very confused Dr. Dawkins on the back and hopped off the platform. The strawberry blonde caught sight of Charlie motioning towards Aputi, who waved at Fagin. The old man ran over, and the two had a short quarrel before Norbert looked in her direction.

She saw him laugh and give her a thumbs up. She waved her fingers back.

Edward started talking again. "And now for Dawkins. Long story short, he's being hanged for a murder he didn't commit. The person he allegedly killed is in the audience. She's my best friend.  And he saved her."

Everyone turned to her. She saw Jack perk up. Edward continued.

"So, that death warrant is useless."

Rip.

"Let's see, and this one says he's an escaped convict. Once again only signed by Gaines."

Rip.

Edward strode over and unlocked the chains from Jack's hands. The metal clanged behind him. But no one heard it. Because fireworks went off. The crowd gasped and looked at the sky where bright colors stained the air.

Elizabeth's feet moved for her. "Jack!"

"Ellie." He breathed as they collided. His hands are around her shoulders while hers go to his waist. They breathe each other in. Happy tears fell onto his shoulders as he kissed her hair over and over.

"What's with the fireworks?" The blonde asked as he looked up at the sky.

"Let's just say I had a plan in case you were being hanged." She answered.  "That was all Flashbang." She gestured to the bright colors.

Jack laughed joyfully.  "You were gonna break me out?"

"Of course." The woman laughed.

The former convict's face was unreadable, until he crashed his lips to hers.  She eagerly returned it.

"God, I missed you." He breathed.

"Me too, Jack."

————

(A/N): that Chapter sucked! Byeee

Date: 4/17/24

Word Count: 861