Completely Unsuited

Episode Six: Bully in the Alley

Belle practically dragged Elizabeth back to the hospital

Belle practically dragged Elizabeth back to the hospital.  She didn't want to choose between her colony and her desire.  She wanted to agree with Jack so badly.  She kinda did.  No one could know that. 

Belle had changed her mind completely.  She was still angry though.  At Edward.

They walked in and was immediately approached by Jack.  "What'd your father say? When's he going to stop this?"

Elizabeth nodded cautiously.
"Yes, I have spoken to my father. There are two sides to this. It's not as clear as..."

"He's dead. How much clearer could it be?"

Belle rolled her eyes.  "Right, if you're to be like that, Jack..."

He scoffed.  "I cannot believe you two would give that man's story credence."

"We don't give a fig about Gaines." The strawberry blonde reassured him.

"...but we do trust our father's word on this." Belle added.

"You can't agree with their methods."

"Obviously not. That boy bled to death in front of us." Elizabeth said sadly.

"No, he was a bushranger, who killed one of Father's men." Belle argued.

"So they say." Jack murmured.

"He's my father. He's many things, but he's not a liar." The brunette glared at him.

Elizabeth nodded.  "He's trying to bring peace to a colony you have to admit is out of control." She added as Belle led them into a cupboard.

"Did you mean to walk into a cupboard?" The surgeon snickered.

"Obviously not!" Belle snapped.

"Gosh. You are incredibly irritating." The blonde grumbled. 

"Guys-" Elizabeth started.

"So are you. 'Cause you won't listen to anyone else's point of view." Belle snapped back.

"Um-"

"All I'm saying is it is not clear-cut. Look, you either want to be a doctor, who cares for everybody, no matter how spotty their soul may be, or you are "milady," who gives six of the best to the peasants when we get uppity."

"Jack, darling-"

"Uppity? I know you had your past indiscretions, but these were bushrangers who killed three men, one a father."

"Belle, I think-"

"Some people need to thieve in order to eat." Jack mumbled angrily.

"That's true, but-"

Belle scoffed.  "And that can lead to death, too."

"Belle! Don't-"

Jack finally exploded.  "Have you ever seen anybody dead on the streets from hunger? No! Have you ever paid for anything you've eaten? Or worn, or lived in?"