Letters

Season Two, Act One: Part Two

"You've got yourself a wife, Dodge

"You've got yourself a wife, Dodge. You have my blessing to marry this woman." Fagin mused while taking a bite of his orange.

Jack only rolled his eyes.

Wife. The word was so foreign to him. He grew up thinking that he would never settle down. He would be a surgeon until he turned into Alistair McGregor, or he would be hung for the endless years of necessary crimes to keep himself alive. Right now, the latter looked definitive.

But he had hope. It was weird for him. But after Edward had visited Fagin and him food and the endless letters from the love of his life, he saw a third option. A future with Elizabeth Fox.

Fagin's previous words stuck to him.

"Would you really approve?"

The old man perked up. "Of course! She's so nice. And rich. The amount of things we could steal from that house-"

"No." The blonde interrupted.

"What?"

"I'm not marrying her for the riches or benefits, Fagin! I'm in love! I love her! I want a life with her! We could both be surgeons together, and get married, and have kids. As many as she wants. But I will never, and I mean ever, steal from her. Never. And you won't either or there will be hell to pay. Do you understand?" Jack asked in a low voice.

The old crook shrunk back and nodded, trying to hide a smile.

His son was a goner.

"Have you read the rest of her letters? There's 12."

Jack jumped from his seat on rotten hay and ran to the loose tile in the floor, where they had been hiding the food, drinks, and letters.

He pulled out the one labeled 2 and opened it. He had never been so eager to read in his life. Yes, it was difficult, but he made an effort to understand each word.

Fagin read over his shoulder.

"Dear Jack,

You are infinitely better at your job than Sneed. He killed a man today, trying to simply amputate his foot. I heard from Hetty, who had been fuming when she told me. I was very apprehensive to let him take out my stitches, but luckily he did so without fail.

The scar is healing rather nicely. I do think it looks unnatural, but I am grateful nonetheless.

Thank you, my love.

Truly Yours,
Eliza Fox."

Fagin smiled. "If you don't marry her, I will."

Jack turned to glare at him before hitting him in the knee, making it buckle and the old man groan.

"No, you won't. That's my job."

————

"Hey, love." Edward greeted Belle as he climbed through her window. He had just gotten back from his shift at the prison.

The brunette immediately jumped up to kiss him before hearing a cry of protest.

"I'm in the room!" Elizabeth exclaimed. 

Belle grumbled and led her lover to her armchair.  "Well, I heard you freaked out and made scones for your favorite doctor at three in the morning." She snarked.

"And cucumber sandwiches." Elizabeth added, unbothered.  She put down her book.  "What am I gonna do, Bella?  They are already starting the training process over in London for new recruits and a new Captain of the Guard.  Ed, your estimation was way off.

The guard raised his arms in defense.  "Even if they pick someone, it's a three month journey here.  So yeah, maybe I got it wrong by six months, but we have at least three months guaranteed before a Captain could even get here."

Belle furrowed her eyebrows.  "Yeah, but didn't you say they started interviewing people here? Guards with a high status badge?"

"Edward!"

"Sorry, Liza."

"Ed!"

"Sorry, Bells.....Ow! That hurt!"

————

Fagin was currently wrestling Jack for the letter he had been laughing hysterically at for the past few minutes.

"Let me see what your Fancy Skirt said!"

"Don't call her that.  She has a name." Jack sneered.

"Fine.  What did Mrs Dodger say?"

"Fagin!"

Jack finally gave up and read him the letter. 

"Listen to this:

Dear Jack,

Your friend Oliver Twist is an insufferable prick who left my sister for stupid gold.  That Fagin stole.  And you can tell him I said that.

Yours Always,

Elizabeth."

Fagin acted shocked.  "What? I would never.....Okay yeah but then Rotty gave it back." He confessed.  "And she didn't sell me out.  So I'm not being charged for thieving!"

The blonde scoffed.  "That would be great if you weren't already being charged with murder."

The old man smirked in confidence.  "Relax.  I have these documents that pardon me.  Or you.  And I can be your convict servant again."

The former surgeon raised his eyebrows.  "I thought you wanted me to be yours."

"Oh, well I figured that Fancy Skirt would look better if she married a doctor and not a servant."

Jack nodded, failing to hold in a grin at the pleasant thought.

————

(A/N): Heyyyyy!  This chapter is crap! Thx, Bye!

Don't be a silent reader!

Date: 4/5/24

Word Count: 844