Cleanliness

Episode Two: Blessings of St. Coccyx

"Belle! Wake up! It's our first day!" Elizabeth Fox burst into her sister's room to find her talking to her friend from the guard, Edward Williams

"Belle! Wake up! It's our first day!" Elizabeth Fox burst into her sister's room to find her talking to her friend from the guard, Edward Williams. "Oh, hello Ed."

He bowed. "Lady Elizabeth."

"It's Lizzie to you."

The blonde soldier laughed. "I know, I just want brownie points so I can get extra pay this week.

Belle chuckled. "Well we can put in a good word with Gaines."

"Ugh, we have to talk to that prick? If I wanted to see someone with a stick up their arse I would talk to Mother." Elizabeth grumbled.

Edward laughed, earning a surprised look from both of them. He quickly backtracked and apologized but the two sisters burst out laughing.

Belle patted his shoulder. "Don't worry, Ed. Mum can be a bit..... stubborn."

The redhead across the room scoffed. "Stubborn? She's harder to sway than anyone!"

Edward snorted. Elizabeth grabbed her sister and led her out the window. There were spiral stairs leading to the bottom. "Good day, Eddie. Cover for us, will you?"

As she looked back at the guard, she swore she saw him looking longingly at her sister. She turned back and they walked down the stairs, the younger sister of the two wearing a knowing grin the whole time.

————

As they were walking through town, both in their surgery wear, which was just riding wear, Elizabeth was smiling.

"What are you so happy about?"

"I don't know....maybe the fact that Edward is in love with you!"

Belle scoffed. "Don't be daft. There's no way."

"Have you seen how he looks at you? It's like he needs you to breathe." Elizabeth argued. Belle, however, just shook her head.

"No way."

"Ugh, you're in denial. This is gonna take longer than I thought."

"Okay, and what of you and that young surgeon?"

"Shut up, Belle."

————

Walking into the hospital, arms linked, the two girls found a nurse. It was Hetty, an African-American nurse who Elizabeth talked to.

"Hetty!" She exclaimed.

"Lady Elizabeth!" The nurse yelled back. They hugged.

"How are you?" The strawberry blonde asked.

"I'm as great as I can be. What about you? What brings you here?"

Belle stepped forward. "I want to be a nurse and my sister a surgeon. Which way to the operating room?"