Chapter 22

Visha

I still remember that evening vividly-the beginning of it all.

****flashback***

As I sat down for dinner with my parents, I heard my father, Dev Shekhawat, utter those words that would change everything.

"Vish, meet me in the garden after dinner. I need to talk to you about something important," he said.

Following my father's request, I made my way to the garden after we finished our meal. There he was, already settled on the swing, his eyes fixed on the sky, lost in his usual contemplation.

I approached him cautiously, taking a seat beside him.

"Dad, apne bulaya?" I asked, trying to mask the apprehension in my voice.

(Dad, you called me?)

"Haan mujhe tumse bahut hi zaruri baat karni thi," he replied, his tone serious.

(Yes, I needed to talk to you about something important.)

"Haan, kahiye na," I responded, steeling myself for whatever was to come.

(Hmm, go ahead.)

And then he dropped the bombshell. "Tumhe aayansh se shaadi krni hogi," he said.

(You have to marry Aayansh.)

"What did you say? Aayansh? I have to marry Aayansh." I asked, needing confirmation from him, hoping I misheard.

He nodded solemnly, confirming my worst fears. "Yes, you heard me right. You have to marry Aayansh Singh Rajput," he reiterated.

I was stunned, disbelief washing over me. "Dad, how can you say this? Marry him? Aayansh? I don't even know him." I exclaimed, my voice trembling with shock and confusion.

"I may not understand now, but if you don't agree, you'll regret it, but you have to marry him," Dad said.

"Dad, what are you saying? You're telling me to get married? Sorry, Dad, I can't marry Aayansh. What's my age? I still need to build my career," I protested, my voice laced with disbelief.

"I've said what I had to say. You'll have to follow my decision," Dad reiterated firmly.

"Dad, I've always listened to you, but not anymore," I asserted, my resolve wavering but determined.

"You'll have to listen to this as well because you're my daughter," he insisted.

"Fine, if you're stubborn, then I can be stubborn too because I'm your daughter," I countered, steeling myself for what would come next.

"Visha, if you don't listen to me, I'll donate the company to charity," Dad threatened.

And that was my weak point: my dad's, Dev Shekhawat's, company, for which I had worked tirelessly to become the chairperson.

Reluctantly, I caved in, "Thik hai, kahiye kya karna hai mujhe.".

(Yes, tell me what I need to do.)