13. ᴡᴀɪᴛɪɴɢ

Clay Jensen expected a lot of things, but witnessing a car accident on his way home from a party was not one of them.

He was sitting on a bench, thinking about what happened with Hannah just few hours earlier, when he heard a crash. He frowned and stood up, quickly walking towards the two cars, smoke surrounding them. Clay walked closer and his heart froze as he recognized Jeff's car. He stumbled forward and approached the driver's seat, his mouth opening as he eyed Jeff's bloody body.

„Jeff? Jeff come on, wake up. It's not funny, come on." he pleaded as he tried to open the door desperately. „Fuck, come on!" he shouted and his eyes wandered over to the passenger's seat. „Mani." the boy circled the car and stopped next to her, looking around girl's body. „Fuck, fuck!"

Blood was trickling down the side of her head, coming from a deep gash. Her head hit the window because of the crash, causing it to break. Her body was covered in glass and blood was slowly staining her white shirt, metal having pierced through her left side. Clay put his fingers on her neck and let out a shaky breath when he felt a faint pulse.

„Come on Mani, hold on." he stuttered as he reached for his phone, dropping it because of how much his hands were shaking. He picked it up after a second and called 911. Clay looked at Jeff and sobbed out, his hand reaching for Mani's as he stayed by her side until the ambulance arrived.

It's been three days since the accident and Mani was yet to wake up. Monty was practically living in her hospital room - he had his sleeping bag laid out on the floor and the nurses were taking care of him as much as they could - making sure he ate something everyday, and convincing the doctors to let him stay with his best friend.

Mani's parents were a mess. Even though they both visited the girl as much as they could, they still had to make preparations for Jeff's funeral.

Jeff was dead. Mani was in a coma and there was no telling if she'd ever wake up.

Those were the informations that every student of Liberty got the day after Jessica's party. Monty was at the hospital the very same night of the accident, thanks to Clay who phoned him right after the ambulance took Mani away.

„Where are they?" Monty panted as he jogged towards Clay who was sitting in a chair by the surgery room, staring blankly at the wall.

„Jeff's dead." he whispered and Monty's heart broke. He shook his head and stared at Clay, humorless chuckle leaving his mouth as his hands started to shake.

„What?" he whispered, his voice breaking and Clay looked up at him. He gulped and nodded, wiping a tear that left his eye.

Monty clenched his fist and used it to cover his mouth. He took a step back, his eyes scanning over the door to Clay's right.

„Wh-What about Mani? Is she... is she gone too?" he muttered, refusing to cry in front of the Jensen boy, even though he could feel physical pain going through his body as he slowly took in the fact that Jeff, his brother, was dead.

„She's in the surgery. But, Monty. It's-it's bad." Clay responded, his voice cracking as flashback filled his mind.

„Fuck, fuck..." Monty repeated as he gripped his hair, stumbling into a wall as he slid down it, plopping down and hiding his head in his hands, first sob leaving his throat. He didn't hear two sets of footsteps approaching, only rising his head when a hand was put on his shoulder.

Jane Atkins was kneeling in front of him, tears brimming in her eyes, while Harris Atkins talked to the nurses who quickly realized that he was a father of the two siblings who were in the accident. Monty opened his mouth to say something, but only a broken sob was heard as he threw himself in woman's awaiting arms.