21. ᴡʜʏ ᴍᴇ?

Mani stood between Zach and Justin, surrounded by other jocks as she scrolled through her phone. Monty was still suspended, and was staying at hers, so as to avoid his father's fury.

Justin nudged her gently, making her look up from her phone and switch her attention to the boy. He pointed his chin up, making her look that way. Clay Jensen slowly walked past them, headphones on his head as he held Justin's stare before moving forward. The latina girl sighed before leaning her head on Zach's shoulder, the boy subconsciously wrapping his arm around her.

She watched the people passing them, her eyes stopping at a certain redhead who was approaching the group. Mani smiled gently and patted Justin's shoulder before walking towards Zoya. The girl noticed her and sent her a sweet smile, linking their arms together as they walked down the hall. Justin watched them with a small smile, glad that they were finally on good terms.

„Hey, what the hell? What are you doing?" a yell and a loud bang got their attention, their eyes widening at the sight. Clay towered over a new girl, his hand on Hannah's old locker as he stared at the poor girl.

„Clay!" Mani hissed, quickly approaching the two and grabbing his forearm. He looked at her with fury in his eyes, but his expression softened slightly as he realized it was just her.

„I'm sorry." the girl said quickly, raising her hands and looking between the two with wide eyes. „I can't get it open, I'm new, but I can't get this combination to work." she explained, her voice shaky. Zoya gave her a small smile and gently took the note with the code from her, helping her with the locker.

„Clay." Mani repeated, dragging him away. „The hell are you doing? Are you okay?" she asked, her eyes softening when they turned the corner.

„Do you care?" he snapped at her and stormed away, leaving her with raised eyebrows.

„Maybe I shouldn't." she muttered to herself before going back, finding Zoya by her locker. She smiled and wrapped her arms around the girl's waist. „You ready for Maths?" she asked, kissing her cheek.

„I'm never ready for Maths." Zoya chuckled and turned around, hesitating for a moment before kissing Mani's lips quickly. The latina smiled and grabbed her hand, the two walking towards their class, completely unaware of Cassie Swan's eyes burning holes into their backs.

„Yo, Big Z!" Bryce's voice snapped her out of her thoughts. The girl was sitting between him and Justin in the cafeteria, Zoya already having went home. She looked up and smiled at Zach who kissed her cheek in greeting before sitting down across from her.

„So, Mani. You coming to the game tonight?" one of the boys asked, leaning towards her with a smirk. Justin was quick to push him away by putting his hand on his face, making the group laugh as she squeezed his hand under the table as a thanks.

„Don't I always?" she asked with a fake smile, making the boys around her cheer. She felt Bryce wrap his arm around her shoulders and she tensed slightly, Hannah's words lingering in the back of her mind. She shook her head and smiled at him, deciding to trust the boy she knew since she was a kid.

„Well, you better bring some snacks, girl." Zach joked and she rolled her eyes playfully, throwing a piece of carrot at him.

„I already have them in my car, idiot." Mani said with a fake seriousness, making the boy laugh and shake his head.

„Mani?" a feminine voice sounded from behind her, making the talking stop. She watched as Zach's face fell and quickly turned around, her eyebrows rising as she saw Cassie. „Can I talk to you?"

„No." the latina said simply and went to turn around, but Cassie grabbed her shoulder. Justin straightened his back and sent a glare at the blonde, making her retreat her hand.