2

2/8/24

Amara

The world seems to move by way slower since that day, my mind is constantly distracted, and I can't keep focus like normal anymore.

Darius nudges my arm at lunch, and this is the first time since we had spoken since he yelled at me. He stares at me with worry, "Mara." He tries to grab my attengion.

"Mm?" I hum, staring off at the wall, my fork shoved into the middle of my steak.

His normal smile turns into a sad frown, "I'm sorry for the way I treated you, Mara." He mutters.

I nod, "Thank you." I state dryly, anxiously chewing on the inside of my lip. What the hell am I supposed to do?

Darius continues to stare at me, a worried look in his eyes. "Mara, you should eat something. You look really pale.." He mumbles, pushing my hair from out of my face.

I chuckle softly, "I'll be okay, Dari." I nod.

He hesitantly pulls away, pushing his tray towards me. It has mashed potatoes and a small muffin. "I know you like these better. I'll trade you for your steak." He smiles warmly.

My heart clenches, and I trade our trays. "Thank you, Dari." I smile.

"There's your pretty smile." He chuckles, grabbing the steak. "Now, tell me what's going on with you, Agent Snaire." He says between chews.

I take a bite from the warm mashed potatoes, shoving some roll into my mouth. "You know how we got three people?" I stare at the table.

He nods, "Yeah..?" He asks hesitantly, staring me with a confused look.

I gulp back tears, "I have to kill my family." I reply coldly, my voice monotone and flat.

Darius sits in shock, his body becoming stiff with fear. "Your family...?" He mutters, his mouth closing as he stares off into the distance.

"My brother, sister, and mom. My brother is twenty-one. My sister is sixteen, and my mom is fourty two. They still have so much more life to live." I mumble, gulping back tears.

Darius stares at me sorrowfully, "This isn't right, Mara." He shakes his head.

I chuckle, pushing my tray to the side. "Yeah. I've been telling you this for six years." I glare.

Darius only rolls his eyes, and he stands up, bag in hand. "I gotta go, Snaire. See you later." He nods, walking off.

I grab my bag and follow after, walking to the girl's corridor. This is too much.

I walk down the long hallway, knocking on my dorm door before opening it. I see a cheerful Fawn grinning at a book before she glances up at me. Her smile becomes wider, and she shoots up from the comfortable position, engulfing me in a tight hug.

"My faa-faa-faaavvvoorrriittteee person evaaahhh~" She hums, pulling me down to sit by her.

I scoff and become stiff as she hugs me, sitting down next to her with a long sigh. Fawn's reason for being here is uhm... rather disturbing. "Hi Fawna." I nod.

Fawn glares, "Come on!!! Be excited to see meeee, Mara! Ma-Ma-Marraaa! Mara, Mara, Ma-Ma-Maraaaa!" She chirps, wiggling atound happily.

In reality, I'm so happy to see her. I love talking to her, and I missed her voice. "Missed you too." I mumble, shrugging.

She frowns, leaning her head to the side. "Nuh-uh.." She sulks, turning away from me.

Oh no--- Did I upset her? Shit.. Uhm. I grab her and pull her into a close hug, burying my face into her warm neck. "I missed you, Fawny..." I mumble.

"THERE'S MY CUTE SWEET INNOCENT GIRL!!" She shouts, giggling like a mad-woman. I should've known she was faking...

I smile fondly at her, and she begins to yap about things she likes. I really like her. I wish she liked me like that. "I love you." I blurt out.

She turns to me harshly, blinking her eyes out of shock. "You love meee?" She teases, wiggling her eyebrows.

I nod my head, "I.. love you." I mumble. "In a like... more than friends' way." I stare anxiously, tucking a piece of curly hair behind her ear.

Blush coats her light brown cheeks, and she stares at me nervously. "You're... gay..?" She questions, biting her lip.

I nod my head shyly, staring at her flushed face. "I am.. Are you?"

As if a thought of realization hits her, the color drains from her face, and she stares at me sadly.

"W-what's wrong.." I mumble anxiously, pulling my hand away.

Tears prick at her dark brown eyes, and she shakes her head sadly. She stands up and rushes out of the room with a slam of the door, leaving me regretting everything.

Fuck. Fuck. No, no. Shit. Fuck.

I stand up and wipe the tears falling from my eyes, staring into the mirror covered in pictures of us. I throw myself onto my bed and cry into my pillow, crawling under the blanket.

A small knock is at my door, and as soon as I hear Darius's deep voice, I'm already out of the blanket with wiped tears.

"Can I come in, Mar? It's urgent!" He shouts, knocking again.

I scoff, "Yeah! Come on, hurry." I shout back, and he opens the door.

He stares at me suspiciously, "Why's your face all red.." He narrows his eyes at me. "Hurt? Did you do the s.. e.. x.." He gasps, clutching his chest before barging in and slamming the door.

I gasp, "What! No! Darius." I glare, huffing. "No! I didn't have sex." I cross my arms.

He rolls his eyes, "Then why does your face look like that." He questions bluntly.

Wow.. So much for him being a nice goody too-shoes. "Just 'cause." I roll my eyes. "What do you want."

"Oh! Right! It's about Fawn." He smiles. "She just went running into the study room crying.. I think you should check on her."

My heart breaks a little, knowing I can't go comfort her. "I know.." I mumble.

Darius sits down next to me, "Come on, confess. Show me you're not an emotionless robot." He chuckles.

I giggle with him, rolling my eyes. I soon return to my sad expression, tears pricking at my eyes. "I was crying." I huff.

He gasps, "CRYING?! I THOUGHT YOUR TEAR ABILITIES WERE BROKEN!" He shouts, hugging me.

I shove him away, glaring. "Yes, I can cry. No, they aren't broken, and I confessed to Fawn." I sigh.

"You what?!!" He gasps again, clutching his chest dramatically. "Spill!"

I sigh, knowing he won't go unless I tell him. "Fine.. So.."

• /\ ---------------------------------------------------- /\ •

a/n : YAYAYYAYAYgGYayya