"Windrag"

A warm breeze passing by brought with itself a gentle smell of cinnamon and freshly baked pastry. Sweet words sang all around the boy as he sat back in his garden chair, enjoying the pleasantries that came with the Lateran summer. It was a peaceful afternoon, spent in the patio of some fancy cafe where all the busiest personalities of Laterano would gather for a quick break in their packed schedules.

“Whew… And you just outran that search party?”

Andy nodded proudly and turned to his red headed friend, smugness plastered all over his face.

“Mhm! Outran the mercs, made it through the forest… Though, I had to drag the guy for like, a mile or two.”

“And you managed that? With those lanky arms of yours?”

He gave a shrug, flexing his non-existent muscles.

“Lanky as they are, sure did pull their weight! Besides, there’s this thing called “adrenaline”, Lem, you should read up on it.”

“Hey, I’m well read on everything related to adrenaline! I’m just wondering how you managed to pull that fatass, even with adrenaline in play.”

“Easy. You don’t think, you just pull.”

“Uh-huh. Seems like you’re very well versed in the art of pulling men, ain’t ya?~”

Amidst a few cackles and chuckles, Andy managed to playfully flick her halo with his finger, causing the redhead to let out a squeak of surprise. She retaliated almost immediately, poking her fingers all over his face, while almost falling from her chair. Mostima broke her own silence with a long, drawn out sigh, focusing back on munching on her tiramisu.

“Y’know, sometimes I just listen to you two talk without interfering and I realize some people will never pass the mental threshold of a ten year old.”

The two immediately stopped trying to poke one another’s eyes out and turned to glare at the instigator.

“Oh, says you!”

“Yeah, says you!”

“Uh-huh. Says me.”

Down her throat went a piece of the alcohol soaked dessert.

“You just lack perspective, you sad hag. That, and any joy in life. I mean, seriously, if I were as miserable as you I’d kill myself.”

She let out a snort at Andy’s words, seemingly unbothered by the teasing.

“So you’re saying you’re not?”

His brows furrowed. What did she mean by that?

“Am I?”

“Think, Drew…”

Another bite of tiramisu disappeared into her mouth.

“... Am I the one who’s had all their war buddies die? Or the one who had to drag their friend’s lifeless body through some forest at night?”

“Well, no, duh.”

“Yeah, see? Which means you’re more miserable, simple as that.”