"Lovefool"

Tap, tap, tap.

Through the rain they went, their footsteps heavy against the muddy ground. The sun had already gone down at this point, letting the night roam free and feast on Terra's corrupt carcass. Splattering muck everywhere, Andy kept his gaze locked at some invisible point in front, refusing to look at his comrade. Clutching onto his coat, desperately covering himself with the fabric, he tried his very best to calm down and stop his teeth from chattering. He was covered in mud and blood from head to toe, turning his gray curls a deep shade of brown. By his side, Ines followed, taking quick glances at the boy every now and then. She could clearly feel just how pissed he was. How shaken and terrified out of his mind that whole ordeal from before made him. Well, tough luck. It wasn’t her fault. 

Or so she thought, at least. Besides, she even took the liberty of carrying the brat’s guns for him, so he wouldn’t have to burden himself with the additional weight. He should be thanking her, honestly.

She opened her mouth to voice her opinion, but was quickly shushed by Andy’s swift arm movement.

“Shh.”

She straightened her back and looked at him with slight confusion painted over her ever so detached face.

“... Before you say anything: no.”

“But…”

“You’re not using me as bait, ever again.”

They continued onward in complete silence.

Tap, tap, tap.

Tap, tap, tap.

“... I still think it was a good plan. Poorly executed, sure, but…”

“Oh, shut up.”

Not a single word was uttered during their excruciating walk back to camp.

Tap, tap, tap.

Gathered under a wide tarp connected to three freestanding pine trees, W and Hedley were discussing their next big move towards complete inland merc market domination. Hunched over a wide map of the entire country, illuminated by an originium powered lamp, W kept drawing out the most surreal of lines and arrows, pointing all over the place. Once they noticed the two approaching, neither even bothered to bat an eye.

“How about… From the west, like this?”

“Shredded to pieces.”

“Pffft… East? From the back?”

“Rear guard.”

“Oh my… Then come up with something, big guy. Why am I the only one doing any thinking ‘round here? Fuuuh… Lawboy’s back.”

The white haired devil snapped his fingers and called him over with a gesture, choosing to stay oblivious to Andy’s deplorable condition. Ines followed suit, dropping his guns to the ground nonchalantly.