"A Laughing Death in Meatspace"

The devils shuddered, their black, wretched souls crumbling at the wild, distorted roar of an instrument so fierce. Not one dared to approach. Not a single beast had the nerve to defy the newly arrived challenger.

And then the divine deity spoke.

A calm, quiet sound, a soothing balsam on Andy’s heart, almost as if healing his wounds and filling his soul with unwavering hope.

“... Who do you serve, devils of the north? To whom do you answer?”

A small murmur shifted through the crowd as the gigantic figure by the white haired figure crossed its massive arms of iron, towering over the mortals. Andy couldn’t quite make out the shape of the creature, nor what it actually was. A bear? A dragon of Yan? His mind went blank as his gaze shifted to the melting ground, feeling as if he was going to lose his grasp on reality and fall into the sky at any moment.

“We don’t serve anyone, Timewalker. Nor do we have any intent of doing so. Your puny efforts add up to nothing, ‘o dame of old.”

The deity's sharp gaze suddenly faltered. Their face twisted, making way for a… a confused smile?

“Dame of old?”

“Isn’t that a moniker of yours? One of many, o’ great-...?”

They let out a snort and reached behind their back, grasping a large shadow resting against their cloak. A bright, red shimmer lit up the entire clearing, causing a few trees to turn to mush and fall upwards, into the sky’s gaping endlessness.

“Nuh-uh. You got it mixed up, pal.”

Their voice turned teasing. With a swift move, they pulled their hand from behind their back, grasping an extravagantly massive blade, thick and long far beyond reason. With no unnecessary engravings, no fancy finishes or decorative pommels, except for a large, red, oval shaped jewel in the very middle of its crossguard. It lit up, a sort of iris shape inside forming instantly, running wildly along its restrain, scanning the entire area. For just a second, Andy locked gazes with the gem, feeling a strange sense of dread tugging at his heartstrings. Or maybe it was just the pierced lung.

With each little movement, the weapon kept emitting a low, crackling hum, a warped, sinister buzz, like a pierced amplifier connected to a dying star.

The figure stepped forward, grinning smugly and twirling the colossus of a weapon around their hand, absolutely effortlessly. It was as if the sword itself weighed not a kilogram more than a fallen twig to the wielder. As it spun, another distorted howl pierced the night.

“I, gents, am simply asking whether you’re WITH or AGAINST Her Majesty, the one true ruler of Kazdel and all its… Blah, blah, you get the gist.”

The fiends turned to themselves, whispers of weary escaping their minds, joined together in one, inaudible buzz. One daredevil spoke up, stepping forward, standing up to the feline.

“As big as that sword is, it’s numbers that really count. You against us, a lone traveler against the indomitable force that is the Third Bounty Hunters’ Regiment, brought upon by the Military C-...”

“I’m just asking a question! No need to get all pissy, I wanna hear a simple yes or no. You boys like our Tessie, or not?”