009. the house is sold

chapter ninethe house is sold

chapter nine
the house is sold

The group began watching the film Jeremiah had chosen but quickly got bored and decided to move their party into the huge garden that belonged to the Castillo's

"Remind me why we never had summer here?" Steven asked, spinning around in the middle of the grass.

"Uh, my mum preferred Susannah's house." Florence told him. "She said it felt more homely than ours."

"Right."

The boys all began to mess around, Belly and Taylor chatting while the weed apple was pawned off on Skye. Florence and Sydney sat next to each other on the patio.

"You disappeared." Florence commented.

"I went and sat in my room for a little bit, I needed some air away from... everything." Sydney let out a small breath. Florence nodded as Sydney let against her arm, the older girl putting her head on top of Sydney's. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" Florence asked.

"For taking everything away from you." Sydney admitted.

Florence moved, forcing Sydney to look at her. "Syd, you didn't do anything."

"I did though." Sydney teared up slightly. "I mean, you aren't with Conrad anymore because I messed things up with Belly, you aren't friends with Belly anymore because I messed things up with Belly, you don't talk to Camden because you aren't with Conrad because I messed things up, you aren't friends with Jere because I messed things up, mum has been there with me for this entire thing meaning she hasn't been with you. I am at the root of all of your problem and I'm sorry for that—I'm trying to do better, to be a better sister. I swear, I—"

"Sydney." Florence placed her hands on the girl's shoulder. "You are not to blame for anything. Things happen, okay? But none of it is your fault, I am still friends with these people, and if I wasn't, it would because of them and me not because of you, I promise. You are the best little sister a person could ask for. I wouldn't trade you, as you are, for the world."