Chapter 7 - Various Systemic Changes

In April 1941, the Imperial Navy established the Maritime Escort Force, which was equivalent to the Combined Fleet. While the Combined Fleet aimed at the annihilation of enemy fleets, the Maritime Escort Force's primary duty was to protect Japanese merchant ships from the threat of enemy commerce destruction. Currently, the situation involves adjusting personnel with outdated light cruisers and destroyers. However, specialized escort vessels, including the ongoing construction of escort ships such as coastal defense ships, are planned to be gradually incorporated.

Additionally, within the Combined Fleet, the 1st Air Fleet, centered around aircraft carriers, has been organized. This fleet was to be led by four aircraft carriers, the Akagi and Kaga of the 1st Carrier Division and the Sōryū and Hiryū of the 2nd Carrier Division. Furthermore, the four Shōkaku-class carriers under construction are expected to be commissioned and integrated into the fleet upon completion.

"Never did I think that a grand organization like this would be established in the Imperial Navy, all sparked by a single fictional war novel."

Admiral Yamamoto, commander of the Combined Fleet, chuckled as he addressed Ryūkaku Hiranuma, who was paying his third visit. The Chronicle of Intense Reflection handed by Hiranuma to Yamamoto, who was then a rear admiral, had now become a sort of scripture, involving not only Imperial Navy officers but also enlisted personnel, contractors, and technicians.

Naturally, proper compensation or royalties had to be paid to the author, Ryūkaku Hiranuma. Without that, it would be nothing but unauthorized copies and copyright infringement. Therefore, Yamamoto urged Hiranuma to proceed with the necessary procedures.

"As for the portion we receive from the Navy, we will gratefully accept it. In turn, I will donate the received money directly to you, Yamamoto-san. Considering the future, it's inevitable that considerable funds will be needed for networking souvenirs, undercover operations, and the like. So, if I may ask, within the limits of what you can share, I would appreciate information on the current situation of the Imperial Navy."

In response to the unexpected words from Hiranuma, Yamamoto expressed his gratitude while his demeanor changed. As an admiral, his salary was exorbitant from the perspective of commoners, but on the flip side, the expenses were also significant. Hiranuma's offer was, for Yamamoto, truly like a timely downpour in a drought. From this point on, Yamamoto's attitude towards Hiranuma would undergo a 180-degree turnaround from their first meeting.

"Firstly, there have been two major developments in the Imperial Navy. The establishment of the Maritime Escort Force and the formation of the 1st Air Fleet. Of these, the influence of the book you provided was particularly significant for the Maritime Escort Force."

The Chronicle of Intense Reflection mainly focused on decisive fleet battles, but it also depicted the intense struggles and heroics of the seemingly inconspicuous but powerful maritime escort battles favored by the Japanese. The relentless battles against the cunning submarine commanders of Country A, who persistently targeted merchant ships, and the strategic battles of endurance waged by the patient destroyer commanders of Country N became intense mental contests, with both sides refusing to yield an inch. In the end, both ships became inoperable due to mutual damage. At that moment, despite being enemies, the soldiers and officers of the opposing nations welcomed the finale by helping each other.

"Until now, escorting merchant ships in the Imperial Navy has been referred to as a dumping ground for corrupt officers. Despite being a navy reliant on imports for resources in our island nation, the protection of maritime traffic in our consciousness has indeed been quite light. However, inspired by the book, the Imperial Navy has awakened to its importance. And, in that context, the Maritime Escort Force was organized."

Hiranuma nodded slightly, maintaining eye contact with Yamamoto, without interjecting unnecessary words. Taking this into consideration, Yamamoto continued his explanation.

"As for the 1st Air Fleet, it is a fleet centered around aircraft, as the name suggests. It is organized with multiple aircraft carriers and escort vessels to protect them, and we plan to develop and institutionalize this in the future."

"When considering personnel, budget, as well as supply and training, institutionalization is an urgent task. Well, resistance from gunnery and torpedo personnel who are reluctant to allocate ships to the 1st Air Fleet is intense, making it quite difficult."

While chuckling at Hiranuma's frank remarks, Yamamoto steered the conversation back to the main topic.

"The book has had a significant impact not only on naval vessels but also on naval aviation. The most notable is the adoption of the Army's air-ground separation system by the Navy."

Until now, in the Imperial Navy, the aircraft and crew aboard aircraft carriers had been assigned to their respective mother ships. However, they were now separated into distinct organization. Depending on the situation, air groups, meaning planes and crew, could move between mother ships, making their operational use more flexible. Personnel reassignments also became easier. For instance, if the demand for fighter aircraft on an aircraft carrier needed to be significantly increased for a specific operation, moving only the planes and crew without considering the mother ship's personnel would be sufficient.

Similarly, with the base air units, dividing the air groups and ground support units yielded significant benefits. Previously, when moving the aviation unit of a land base, it was necessary to relocate support personnel such as maintenance and weapons crews. However, with the air-ground separation system, only the crew members needed to move.

Nevertheless, there was a persistent opposing opinion that argued that the bond or unity between crew members and the mother ship crew might be compromised. Due to this concern, the adoption of the air-ground separation system lagged behind the Army, which had already implemented it. Still, with considerable influence from the Chronicle of Intense Reflection, the Navy finally managed to put it into practice.

"Unlike the difficult air-ground separation system, the change in the formation of fighter squadrons was relatively easy. Well, the fact that the German Air Force has already adopted this system provided significant support."

Admiral Yamamoto explained that the fighter squadrons of the Imperial Navy, which had previously been formed with three aircraft per section, were now reorganized into formations with a minimum of four aircraft per section, using two aircraft as the smallest combat unit. For the Imperial Navy, which often favored German practices, the fact that the Luftwaffe had already adopted two planes as the minimum combat unit was significant, but there is no doubt that the book had a considerable influence on this matter as well.

In the previous three-aircraft section formation, the second and third planes would lose a significant part of their awareness of the positioning unless they were highly skilled. However, with two planes, they only needed to follow the lead aircraft's movements, reducing their burden. Moreover, other foreign air forces had increasingly adopted this method with larger and faster aircraft, and the Luftwaffe, an ally, had achieved significant results in actual combat. Therefore, there was no reason for the Imperial Navy not to adopt it.

Having received a thorough explanation from Yamamoto, Hiranuma bowed and left. His usual stance was to finish the task quickly and leave, a stance that remained unchanged. Although Yamamoto appreciated his consideration amid his busy schedule, on this particular day, he felt a desire to talk more, to have to talk.

'Or perhaps, unconsciously, I wanted to seek advice from him.'

Yamamoto, even though relying on one's own abilities is the essence of a military person, couldn't help but sigh with a mixture of reflection in his heart, feeling like he was inadvertently relying on others.