Chapter 24 - Air Defense Capability

If we were to describe the atmosphere brewing inside the flagship Akagi's bridge of the 1st Air Fleet in a single word, it would be confusion or perplexity.

The command staff on the Akagi's bridge had anticipated being subjected to air raids from carrier-based aircraft of the American mobile units and aircraft from airbases near Brisbane before the battle. Therefore, they had prepared two squadrons of Zeros for the regular carriers of the 1st Air Fleet and a total of 23 squadrons, including one squadron for the small carriers of the 2nd Air Fleet, comprising 276 Zero fighters for air cover. Furthermore, they had implemented aviation control using radar and wireless communication, believing that this was sufficient preparedness against aerial threats. However, the attack by the Americans deviated from their assumptions.

"The enemy formation consists of at most 20 planes, perhaps a little more than 10. They spread out before and after, and their altitudes vary from 1.500 meters to 4.000 meters. At least 100 aircraft have been visually confirmed. However, due to the widespread dispersion of the formation, it is impossible to confirm the entire picture."

Considering the scale of the enemy task force, the 1st Air Fleet headquarters believed that an onslaught by a large formation exceeding 200 aircraft was possible. However, reports from the reconnaissance missions of the Type 1 recon planes, either making contact or entering the intermediate airspace between the 1st Air Fleet and the enemy task force, revealed that these attack squadrons were not organized at the fleet or even carrier level. Instead, they were advancing toward them in squadron units or, in some cases, even in smaller formations. If the situation continued like this, the 1st Air Fleet would be subjected to piecemeal attacks by small formations.

"If we believe the reports from the reconnaissance planes, it is likely that the enemy pilots lack the skill to form large formations or have not undergone formation assembly training. However, it is premature to estimate the enemy's strength based solely on that point. There are pilots with excellent bombing and aerial combat skills, even if they are not good at maintaining formations or navigation."

Vice Admiral Nagumo nodded in agreement with 1st Air Staff Genda's words. Nagumo himself was confident that he could outperform anyone in torpedo warfare command, but honestly, when it came to air combat command, he couldn't be sure. As long as humans were not perfect beings, everyone had their strengths and weaknesses.

"The enemy's attack altitudes are scattered, but it is easy to imagine that high altitudes are for dive bombers and low altitudes are for torpedo bombers. Therefore, among the carrier-based aircraft of the 1st Air Fleet, half should engage the enemy dive bombers at high altitudes, and the remaining half should intercept the enemy torpedo bombers at low altitudes. As for the fighters of the 2nd Air Fleet, they should handle the enemy land-based aircraft that will likely attack from Brisbane's direction. Of course, this is a rather haphazard approach, ignoring efficient force distribution, and I am aware that it is not commendable. If the number of enemy bombers or torpedo bombers is extremely biased in one direction, there is a risk of breaching our defense network due to insufficient firepower. However, under the current circumstances, there is no other viable option."

Genda's proposal was somewhat ad hoc, as he himself admitted.

However, even so, it was absolutely necessary to provide the Zero pilots with instructions on the attack targets. Otherwise, the Zeros would start attacking the spotted enemy aircraft indiscriminately. For example, if the first to reach the interception point were torpedo bombers, the Zeros would likely try to eliminate them as they descended to low altitude. However, during that time, dive bombers at high altitudes could easily pass over them. Also, it was essential not to neglect preparations against the enemy land-based aircraft that would likely attack in coordination with the timing of the carrier-based aircraft squadrons. This is even more so because some twin-engine American planes are capable of launching torpedo attacks.

"The composition of the enemy carrier-based aircraft squadron is unknown, and they are advancing in a scattered manner. If that's the case, we have no choice but to adopt Genda's opinion. Additionally, regarding the fighters accompanying the dive bombers and torpedo bombers approaching us, what should we do about them?" Nagumo asked Genda once again. He believed it was necessary to hear the opinion of someone who was a fighter pilot, before issuing formal orders.

"The most frightening for aircraft carriers and surface strike vessels are dive bombers and torpedo bombers. Of course, modern fighters are equipped with bombing capabilities for the most part, but their payload is smaller than dedicated bombers, and their accuracy is not as effective. Therefore, I believe that, aside from unavoidable self-defense combat, the fighters should avoid engaging in combat with enemy fighters as much as possible."

While nodding in agreement with Genda, Nagumo turned to Chief of Staff Kusaka.

"Chief of Staff, do you have anything to add?"

Nagumo was a bit hesitant to proceed with the matter with only between himself and the staff officers without involving the Chief of Staff. In essence, it was about maintaining harmony within the organization. Of course, Nagumo did not think that Kusaka was so petty that he would be offended by such a thing, but it didn't hurt to show proper consideration.

"At present, the fighters from the 2nd Air Fleet, which are engaged in the attack on the airbase near Brisbane, should participate in air defense combat upon their return, for the aircraft capable of continuing the fight. Additionally, I believe we should strengthen anti-submarine patrols. Currently, battleship spotter planes and heavy cruiser seaplanes are assigned to anti-submarine patrol duties, but we should also deploy carrier-based recon planes. Since Brisbane is a submarine base for the Allied forces, we cannot neglect vigilance in our immediate surroundings."

There are currently 36 Type 1 recon planes dispatched for reconnaissance, and over 10 planes are involved in tasks such as navigation support for the attack squadrons, command and control, contact with the enemy task force, and forward route vigilance. However, even with these tasks, there are enough recon planes on both the 1st and 2nd Air Fleets to allocate aircraft for anti-submarine patrols.

Nagumo, who had given his consent to Kusaka's proposal, gave one order after another. And at the same time, without uttering a word, he added a reflection to the pages of his heart.

'Initially, I thought, 'What's the point of carrying those sixty recon planes?' But rather, it was barely enough. Reconnaissance planes equipped with radar are indispensable for discovering the enemy and implementing efficient air attacks. I now understand well why the Combined Fleet command prioritized the enhancement of reconnaissance planes over fighters and bombers.'

To capture the enemy as far away as possible, Zero fighters took off one after another, kicking the flight deck into the sky. For the first time since the start of the war, the 1st and 2nd Air Fleets were on the defensive. Their air defense capabilities and true strength were about to be put to the test.