INDIAN OCEAN CAMPAIGN | Chapter 28

It's Not Just the Ships

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a result of the operation to annihilate the submarine base in Brisbane, the Combined Fleet headquarters relocated from the battleship Nagato to the campus of a university in Hiyoshi. This move was made to unleash the maximum firepower of the Imperial Navy's flagship Nagato from the constraint of being the flagship of the Combined Fleet and to allow more flexibility.

Of course, there were not a few opposing opinions regarding the decision to change the Combined Fleet headquarters from a battleship to land. This was because there was a tradition in the Imperial Navy of commanders leading from the front and setting an example. In fact, during the Battle of Tsushima that saw the Imperial Navy's great victory, Admiral Heihachirō Tōgō, the Commander-in-Chief at that time, commanded from the flagship Mikasa until the end. There were still some old-fashioned military personnel who believed that a Commander-in-Chief should be like that, issuing orders from a safe land to subordinates heading into the perilous sea.

However, on the other hand, there were many who understood this measure. Unlike the time of the Meiji era when the Battle of Tsushima occurred, the current responsibilities of the Combined Fleet headquarters were too broad. They had taken on too much. In the past, it was enough to focus on fleet command, but now it included not only surface fleets but also base air squadrons, submarine fleets, and support units such as supply and communication, and even naval bases were under its command. If that's the case, keeping the Combined Fleet headquarters in the old battleship Nagato that was built in the Taishō era was simply nonsensical. Those who understood modern warfare were more positive about the relocation of the Combined Fleet headquarters to the land. Moreover, the reason for placing the headquarters in Hiyoshi was mainly due to the ease of coordination with the Navy Ministry and the Navy General Staff.

'If the Yamato had been born in this world, maybe the Combined Fleet headquarters would never have gone ashore.'

The battleship Yamato's existence was erased using the Ship's Intelligence Lexicon. If it had been built, it would have been born as a super-giant battleship with a displacement of 64.000 tons. With such size, it would have been possible to secure the necessary volume for the headquarters facility, and naturally, the Nagato would have been removed from the position of flagship. If that were the case, during the operation to annihilate the submarine base in Brisbane, the Combined Fleet headquarters might have retained its functions on the Yamato.

While thinking about such things, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, the Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet, turned his attention to the man in front of him who prompted him to sit. The man who brought him the Ship's Intelligence Lexicon and Chronicle of Intense Reflection, Ryūkaku Hiranuma. For some reason, an unknown self-proclaimed gentleman who always appeared when his hands were free.

"First, take this. It's a modest amount, but it's the royalty I received from my book," Hiranuma said, handing a sealed envelope containing a bundle of bills to Yamamoto.

Since the severance of diplomatic relations between Japan and the United States due to the war, the Chronicle of Intense Reflection has been commercially available to the general public. Perhaps due to the wartime conditions, it became a considerable bestseller. And, as promised from the beginning, Hiranuma brought the royalty income to Yamamoto to be used as a secret fund.

"I graciously accept this," Yamamoto said with a deep bow. However, he straightforwardly posed a question. "What kind of information can you share with me this time?"

So far, Hiranuma had provided Yamamoto not only with the Ship's Intelligence Lexicon and Chronicle of Intense Reflection but also with crucial information, such as the starting date of the war between Japan and the US or details like the paint used on Imperial Navy vessels burning. By now, Yamamoto no longer considered Hiranuma an ordinary person. Sometimes, he felt as if Hiranuma possessed the gift of prophecy or clairvoyance, or perhaps even something otherworldly. Nevertheless, Hiranuma's actions remained consistent and always seemed to benefit the Imperial Navy, with no apparent disadvantages. Hence, Yamamoto's wariness towards Hiranuma had diminished, and he now harbored a sense of trust. So far, Hiranuma had never come for trivial matters.

"First of all, I congratulate you on the victory in Australia."

Yamamoto nodded slightly, recalling the series of battles in Brisbane, the political movements associated with them, and their aftermath.

The base air squadron's fighter and bomber planes deployed near Brisbane were dispersed by Zero fighters, and the relied-upon American mobile fleet was easily annihilated. Additionally, the city of Brisbane itself was reduced to ashes. The formidable Japanese fleet even attempted to seize Sydney. The Australian government, cornered and with no other option, reluctantly offered peace. They prioritized the lives and safety of their citizens over the friendship with their Allied nations. For Japan, this was precisely the expected outcome, and Hiranuma was undoubtedly the one who envisioned this grand design.

"That success was possible thanks to your advice, Hiranuma-san. If I had not listened to your suggestions, I would have wasted the 1st and 2nd Air Fleets as support forces for the Southern Operation. Most likely, I would have needlessly confined the First Fleet in the Seto Inland Sea, and achieving the submission of Australia, let alone laying a hand on Port Moresby, would have been impossible. Furthermore, the dissatisfaction among gunners would have escalated. It's entirely thanks to you that we were able to get Japan out of the war early. On behalf of the Imperial Navy, this humble Yamamoto expresses his sincere gratitude."

Saying this, Yamamoto bowed deeply this time. While expressing words of gratitude, he felt a sense of embarrassment. Without delay, however, Hiranuma moved on to the main topic.

"I know about the Battle of Brisbane's outcome from news reports. You sank the four aircraft carriers, Enterprise, Yorktown, Lexington, and Saratoga, and furthermore, all the escort vessels were also sunk. It's a splendid achievement. However, what is regrettable, or rather, concerning, is that a considerable number of the officers and soldiers on those vessels survived."

During the Battle of Brisbane, the American mobile fleet had consciously positioned itself close to land-based fighter cover. This allowed swift rescue by flying boats and rescue boats launched from the Australian mainland, resulting in surprisingly many officers and soldiers surviving despite the fleet's complete destruction. Admiral Halsey, commander of Task Force 16, and Admiral Fletcher, commander of Task Force 17, were also among the survivors.

"Looking at this achievement, it is evident that Japanese carrier aircraft used guided weapons. Moreover, among the surviving American soldiers who witnessed it, a considerable number should have discerned that the Japanese guided weapons were radio-guided."

The radio-guided bombs, known as Funryū-1, were created based on Hiranuma's novel. Given Hiranuma's unusually sharp intuition, he was likely well-informed about the details of guided weapons. However, touching on the highest secrets of the Imperial Navy, Yamamoto neither affirmed nor denied, prompting Hiranuma to continue.

"The Allied forces, including the American and British forces, will undoubtedly equip their vessels with the necessary equipment and personnel to investigate the radio frequency of Japanese guided weapons for the next confrontation. If that's the case, the Imperial Navy's course of action becomes evident."

Yamamoto instantly grasped Hiranuma's implication.

"You mean that the Imperial Navy should ensure the complete annihilation of not only mechanical fighting machines but also humans in the upcoming battles."

While expressing a slightly disgusted expression, Yamamoto confirmed with Hiranuma. Of course, he knew the answer, but even so, he couldn't help but ask as a human being.