Chapter 20 - Aerial Battle of Brisbane

"The enemy formation is heading towards your position. It's a mixture of liquid- and air-cooled fighters, totaling approximately 100 planes. The liquid-cooled ones are believed to be P-40, and the air-cooled ones are likely P-35 or P-36. Currently, they are deployed at an altitude between 4.000 and 4.500 meters. Each team is instructed to immediately climb to an altitude of 5.000 meters."

Following the instructions from the leading command and control aircraft, the 84 Zeros slightly raised their noses and began to climb.

'The number of fighters defending Brisbane was not as many as imagined.'

Sub-Lieutenant Sasai, the leader of the second squadron dispatched from the aircraft carrier Zuihō of the 2nd Air Fleet, felt somewhat relieved about this.

The 2nd Air Fleet, to which the Zuihō belonged, is a collection of small aircraft carriers. Among them, only the Ryūjō was originally built as an aircraft carrier, while others were converted from seaplane carriers, submarine carriers, and high-speed refueling ships. Compared to regular carriers in the 1st Air Fleet, the flight decks of these ships are shorter and narrower. Therefore, the crew members require high proficiency in takeoff and landing. As a result, everyone assigned to the 2nd Air Fleet was exceptionally skilled.

The elite squadrons, such as Tainan Air Group or the 3rd Air Group, have become a training ground for such outstanding crew members. Lieutenant Sasai, selected as a key member of the 2nd Air Fleet, was entrusted with the overwhelming responsibility of being the second squadron leader on the Zuihō. However, Sasai was not particularly anxious about it. His wingman, Nishizawa, and many members of the second squadron were familiar faces from Tainan Air Group, and each of them was more skilled than he was.

The opposing force consisted of a mixed unit of liquid-cooled P-40s and air-cooled P-36s. The reported number was only around 100 planes. In truth, Sasai was prepared for a massive interception of hundreds of aircraft if they were to launch a raid on the Australian mainland. However, that concern turned out to be unnecessary.

Sasai was unaware that both the Australian and American forces were facing significant issues with their force deployment and allocation. To counter the pressure from the advancing Japanese forces, the majority of Australia's air power was deployed to strategic locations in northern Australia and Port Moresby. On the other hand, the United States, following President Roosevelt's priority to defeat Germany, had sent over 80% of its available war resources to the European theater. The Army Air Forces were no exception, and the number of fighters sent to Brisbane was significantly fewer than those destined for Europe.

Moreover, at the beginning of the war, Oahu suffered a severe blow from the 1st Air Fleet, and the Philippines suffered a similar fate from the 2nd Air Fleet, losing over 100 P-40s in each case. Adding the losses of obsolete P-35s and P-36s, the Army Air Forces had lost nearly 400 fighters since the beginning of the war. Inevitably, replenishing such a large number of fighters in a short period was not an easy task, even for the United States.

Additionally, the top brass of both the Australian and American forces had difficulty believing in Japan's advance notice of the Brisbane attack until the last moment. There were very few soldiers who trusted the Japanese military's words, especially after the surprise attack on Oahu before the declaration of war. The majority of intelligence officers in the US and Australia shared the suspicion that the warning about the attack on Brisbane was a deception to camouflage the assault on Port Moresby. In contrast, for the Japanese military, this was a successful application of their past deceptive tactics.

While the number of enemy planes was fewer than expected, there was no room for complacency among the Zero fighter pilots, including Sasai. The Zero squadron of the 2nd Air Fleet had mainly clashed with the American air units in the Philippines since the start of the war. During this time, they had shot down over 100 enemy fighters while sustaining losses of fewer than ten of their own. However, among the unrecovered pilots, there were those with recognized skills, albeit limited. No matter how skilled, a momentary lapse or a slight mistake on the battlefield could lead to death. The experienced pilots lost in combat had etched the harsh reality of aerial combat into the souls of their fellow aviators.

Thanks to the command and control aircraft, the Zero squadron had secured a significant altitude advantage as soon as they spotted the enemy. In aerial combat, the superiority of altitude is decisive. If aircraft performance and skill are nearly equal, it is almost impossible to reverse the situation unless there are extraordinary circumstances.

Zero fighters successively banked their wings, attacking from above with machine gun fire. The power of the 20 mm rounds fired from the long-barreled Mark 2 autocannons, each equipped on both wings, was extraordinary. A torrent of 20 mm rounds, like a sudden rainstorm, pierced through the engines and cockpits of P-40s and P-36s. On the other side, P-40s and P-36s retaliated instantly with 12,7 mm and 7,62 mm rounds, but neither the accuracy nor the destructive power could match the 20 mm rounds for shooting down opponents. Although both sides had aircraft hit, the majority of those descending were P-40s or P-36s, while the Zero fighters suffered only a few losses.

Sasai initiated a turn, preserving the speed energy gained in the descent. The initial attack aimed at a P-40 resulted in hits but did not lead to a downing. Having experienced the toughness of P-40s during the battles in the Philippines, Sasai was not particularly disappointed.

'But I won't make a mistake this time.'

Increased air resistance from the hits slowed down the P-40, and Sasai positioned his plane behind it. Despite a reputed decrease in turning agility compared to the A5M, the Zero was still sufficient against a P-40. Sasai targeted the damaged enemy plane, simultaneously scanning the surroundings. He knew that attempting to finish off an enemy was the most dangerous moment. Confirming that there were no enemy aircraft in a position to target him, Sasai quietly pressed the firing button. Four thick streams were hitting the tail of the P-40, causing both the horizontal and vertical tail surfaces to be blown away.

"Nishizawa, take over!"

Sasai radioed, and as soon as he did, Nishizawa's aircraft accelerated. The reason for the immediate switch after Sasai downed only one aircraft was to balance the remaining ammunition. Despite the successful development of the belt-fed mechanism, doubling the ammunition capacity of the 20 mm machine guns per gun from 100 to 200 rounds, it was still a precarious situation. Moreover, with someone as skilled as Nishizawa, it would be wasteful to leave the role of backup to the second aircraft.

Nishizawa probably had already identified which enemy aircraft to target when Sasai finished off the P-40. Without any hesitation, Nishizawa closed in rapidly on the solo-flying P-40. The Warhawk noticed Nishizawa, hastily lowered its nose, and attempted to escape in a steep dive. However, a moment earlier, four streaks of light extended from both wings of Nishizawa's aircraft.

It seemed like a short burst that could be mistaken for single shots, but it was apparently sufficient. The P-40, its cockpit shattered, nosedived upside down into the waters off Brisbane.

In the airspace above Brisbane, the Japanese side had overwhelming superiority. While aircraft performance and pilot skill played a role, the most significant factor was the information support from the command and control aircraft.