Chapter 41 - Idea of a Bubble

The excessively effective reconnaissance network, involving the deployment of nearly 40 Type 1 reconnaissance aircraft, functioned perfectly. It not only provided information on the enemy fleet's position and course but also fully assessed their force composition.

"There are two fleets comprising two aircraft carriers and three battleships each. Additionally, three mobile task forces centered around one aircraft carrier and one surface strike force centered around two battleships. And all of these fleets seem to be heading towards us," murmured Nagumo as he glanced over the compiled notes from the communication staff.

"One of the two fleets, which consisted of two carriers and three battleships, was identified as the British fleet because of the presence of the Nelson-class. The remaining one also contained three battleships, so we can be sure that it was also the British fleet."

In an excited tone, 1st Air Staff Genda presented his thoughts and evidence.

Nagumo concurred with his speculation. The Nelson-class battleships, with their 40 cm triple gun turrets concentrated in the forward section, were easily identifiable even from a considerable distance due to their distinctive shape. It was unlikely for seasoned crew members to mistake them. As for the remaining three mobile task forces and one surface strike force, they were undoubtedly presumed to be part of the American fleet.

Given the constant engagements with U-boats and the German Luftwaffe in maritime escort battles, it seemed improbable that the British Royal Navy, for each aircraft carrier or two battleships, would have the resources to deploy numerous cruisers and destroyers. Thus, by process of elimination, the two aircraft carriers and three battleships forming the main group were identified as part of the British fleet.

"The fleet consisting of two aircraft carriers and three battleships, referred to as A1 and A2 respectively from the east, and the unit with one aircraft carrier named B1, B2, and B3, and the fleet centered around two battleships designated as C1," ordered Nagumo, assigning designations to the identified enemy fleets.

"Launch the first attack group immediately. Once completed, deploy the second group as soon as possible. As for the second group, Akagi and Kaga of the Third Fleet target C1, while Jun'yō and Hiyō target B1. For the Fourth Fleet, Shōkaku and Zuikaku attack A1, and Hiryū attack B2. For the Fifth Fleet, Kamikaku and Amakaku target A2, while Sōryū attack B3."

Nagumo allocated targets according to the information provided by the Type 1 reconnaissance planes. Soon after, the Akagi began to turn upwind. Although her silhouette was obscured from view, it was expected that sister ships such as Kaga, Ryūhō, Jun'yō, and Hiyō would also be orienting their bows into the wind.

Shortly afterward, the sound of explosions reached the bridge of the Akagi. The Zero fighters began their takeoff. The first wave of attack consisted of 84 aircraft from the Third Fleet, 108 from the Fourth Fleet, and 108 from the Fifth Fleet, totaling 300 aircraft, all comprised of fighters. Additionally, four Type 1 reconnaissance aircraft preceded or accompanied the first wave for aerial combat command, forward route surveillance, and navigation support.

As soon as the fighters finished launching, A6Ms and Type 1 attackers intended to participate in the second wave of attack were lifted from the hangar to the flight deck via elevators. The second wave consisted of 24 fighters and 72 attackers per fleet, totaling 288 aircraft across all fleets. Additionally, preceding the second wave of attack, six Type 1 reconnaissance aircraft took off for contact maintenance and to guide the attack squadrons.

"I wonder how historians of the future will evaluate this battle," Nagumo remarked almost as if grumbling, eliciting a bitter expression from Chief of Staff Kusaka.

"Indeed. The theory dictates eliminating the greatest threat first when engaging in a group battle. However, the instructions from the Combined Fleet Headquarters for this battle were quite the opposite."

Admiral Yamamoto, the Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet, had instructed Vice Admiral Kondō and Vice Admiral Nagumo to avoid direct confrontation with the British and American fleets.

"Admiral Yamamoto seemed to perceive that the European Expeditionary Fleet lacked sufficient strength. I personally don't share that opinion, but it seems the Admiral doesn't see it that way."

From Nagumo and Kusaka's perspectives, this fleet consisted of 10 battleships, 17 aircraft carriers, and 876 carrier-based aircraft, a formidable force that they believed should be straightforwardly engaged without resorting to any tricks. However, Yamamoto seemed to have a different perspective. Certainly, the anti-aircraft firepower of American ships was formidable, and while British ships didn't match American ones, they were still formidable opponents. Traditional dive bombing and torpedo attacks would undoubtedly result in considerable losses.

However, they had the Funryū. Although they needed to penetrate the enemy's anti-aircraft range, they could launch attacks before the accuracy of machine guns and cannons increased, significantly reducing the loss rate compared to dive bombing and torpedo attacks. Furthermore, with nearly 600 fighters, there was no need to worry about losing air superiority.

"I hate to say it, but Admiral Yamamoto's instructed tactics seem a bit convoluted. However, if our aim is to minimize losses and maintain combat capability as much as possible, this approach is somewhat reasonable."

While saying so, Kusaka didn't seem entirely convinced by Yamamoto's orders. Both Nagumo and Kusaka had initially planned to annihilate enemy fighters in the first wave of attack, render British and American aircraft carriers combat ineffective in the second wave, and then deploy all available Type 1 attackers to destroy as many British and American battleships as possible. Subsequently, the surface strike forces, the First and Second Fleets, would launch a decisive assault on the British and American fleets, aiming to wipe them out in one go. However, with Yamamoto's decision, this grand design was permanently abandoned.

"Well, let's try to think of it as just a change in the order of enemy ships to be destroyed," Nagumo offered a bitter smile, to which Kusaka could only respond with a chuckle.