Chapter 14 - After the Attack on Pearl Harbor

The eight aircraft carriers of the 1st Air Fleet, which accommodated the first and second waves, were all in a festive atmosphere. The daring gamble of the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, even whispered around to be reckless, had proven to be a stunning success, surpassing even the Battle of Tsushima in unprecedented achievements.

"Reports have been compiled from each air squadron that participated in the attack, and I will now present them," announced Commander Minoru Genda with an audible excitement in his voice. "First, among the torpedo squadrons of the 1st and 2nd Carrier Divisions participating in the first wave, 38 planes executed torpedo attacks on battleships anchored in Pearl Harbor. This attack caused two battleships to capsize, and three more were forced aground, heavily damaged. Lieutenant Commander Murata and his wingmen who attacked enemy oil tankers successfully hit both targets, sinking the oil tankers. Additionally, the leaked oil caused a fire, resulting in significant damage to nearby battleships. The bomber squadron dropped 50 bombs, with 23 hits, destroying numerous battleships. One of them exploded and burned completely. The 5th and 6th Carrier Divisions, responsible for attacking enemy air bases, inflicted substantial damage on airfields and related facilities, destroying at least 300 enemy aircraft on the ground."

Taking a brief pause, Genda continued his report.

"As for the second wave, both the 1st and 2nd Carrier Divisions, like the first wave, targeted enemy vessels. They rained over 30 bombs, each, on battleships in dry dock, completely destroying the superstructures of those ships. Additionally, two nearby destroyers were similarly destroyed. Furthermore, a total of 16 enemy cruisers and destroyers were sunk, along with one unidentified special mission ship. The 5th Carrier Division, involved in the petroleum tank attack, and the 6th Carrier Division, responsible for the destruction of harbor facilities, achieved their respective objectives. Notably, the 5th Carrier Division's destruction of the petroleum tanks turned Pearl Harbor into a literal sea of flames. It is highly likely that almost no ships survived, especially considering the complete annihilation of battleships."

Nobody in the 1st Air Fleet headquarters doubted Genda's words. The Kaga's Type 1 reconnaissance planes No. 7 and No. 8, both reported the same findings.

"Poor visibility and turbulent air currents due to the flames make it impossible to confirm results."

"Unable to approach due to heat. Pearl Harbor is like night due to intense smoke."

The 1st Air Fleet had come to Pearl Harbor to crush the main force of the Pacific Fleet, but in reality, they had set the entire harbor ablaze. The fleet not only suffered ship losses but also an immense number of losses among its personnel.

"Regarding casualties, the first wave lost two fighters and seven attackers. The second wave lost four fighters and six attackers, all of which did not return. Most of the fighter losses were not in aerial combat but due to enemy anti-aircraft fire during ground strafing, while all losses of the attackers were due to anti-aircraft fire. Additionally, five personnel died in aerial combat, and eleven suffered severe injuries making their return as crew members impossible."

Lowering his tone, Genda reported the losses suffered by their own forces. In total, 50 crew members had died, and 11 had sustained injuries preventing their return. While these numbers might seem acceptable in terms of quantity, each one of them was an exceptionally skilled warrior.

"I had mentally prepared myself to lose at least ten percent of the attack units. Of course, we cannot take our losses lightly, but considering that we deployed a total of 522 aircraft, with only 19 not returning, I believe we are incredibly fortunate," Vice Admiral Nagumo spoke with sincerity.

Genda, without stating the obvious, expressed his thoughts, "The fact that both the fighter and the attacker were developed with crew protection as a top priority played a significant role. According to the flight leaders of each carrier, many aircraft sustained hits in bulletproof fuel tanks or cockpits. Without equipment such as leak-proof tanks, automatic fire extinguishers, or bulletproof steel plates for crew protection on the planes, our losses could have been doubled, or even multiplied several times."

Nagumo and Chief of Staff Kusaka nodded approvingly at Genda's words. Both of them had observed the returning planes from the bridge of the Akagi. Many of the aircraft displayed vivid battle scars, with some having large holes in their fuselages or partial wing damage. Nevertheless, it was the resilient Zero fighters and Type 1 attackers that made it back, and it wasn't hard to imagine that if they had been the older A5Ms or B5Ns, they would have been shot down without a doubt.

"What do you propose we do next, sir?" Kusaka asked Nagumo.

No one suggested deploying the third wave within the 1st Air Fleet. Not even the assertive Rear Admiral Yamaguchi of the 2nd Carrier Division or Vice Admiral Mikawa of the formidable 3rd Battleship Division, known for their boldness, had recommended sending out additional attack units. This alone indicated the tremendous success achieved by the first and second waves.

"1st Air Staff, do you want to linger near Hawaii for a while, strengthening our search for enemy aircraft carriers?"

"Yes, sir," replied Genda to Nagumo's inquiry without hesitation.

Indeed, the 1st Air Fleet had achieved significant results. However, they had not yet taken down a single enemy aircraft carrier. This fact seemed to leave a lingering discomfort for Genda, an advocate of air power.

"Sorry, but I reject that proposal. It's not feasible to keep the 1st Air Fleet anchored off the coast of Hawaii, not knowing if the enemy is there or not."

Genda respectfully bowed to Nagumo's decision, acknowledging his compliance. Certainly, staying too long in the home territory of the US military would be risky. They could easily fall victim to submarines if they overstayed their welcome. While nodding slightly in agreement with Genda, Nagumo issued a new order.

"From now on, the 1st Air Fleet will return to the homeland. Additionally, we will conduct a thorough attack on Midway en route. This is also an order from the Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet."

Issuing instructions to his staff, Nagumo recalled a conversation he had with Admiral Yamamoto before the operation.

"Don't worry, Nagumo-kun. The attack on Pearl Harbor will definitely succeed. A friend of mine who is adept at foreseeing the future vouched for it. Also, I have one request. On the return from Pearl Harbor, I want you to thoroughly bombard Midway Atoll. Prioritize those who couldn't participate in the attack on Oahu due to escort duty for the direct cover mission. If possible, let the Hiei and Tone experience naval gunfire against the island. It's somewhat regrettable, but even gunners need a way to vent, you know."