BATTLE OF BRISBANE | Chapter 15

Weaknesses of the Allied Forces

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A week after the outbreak of the war, the flagship of the Combined Fleet, the Nagato, was still in a state of excitement in Hiroshima Bay. On the first day of the war, the 1st Air Fleet, consisting of eight regular aircraft carriers as its main force, carried out a surprise attack on Oahu, defeating the main force of the Pacific Fleet anchored in Pearl Harbor with torpedo and bomb attacks. Furthermore, attacks were made on oil tankers in the bay, causing them to ignite. The heat and smoke generated at that time swallowed up nearby battleships.

The bomber squadron of the 5th Carrier Division, which participated in the second wave, demolished and set ablaze the rows of oil tanks surrounding Pearl Harbor. The heavy oil in the tanks turned into a rushing flow of flames, pouring into Pearl Harbor. As a result, the bay literally turned into a sea of fire. Many ships in the bay were smoked and burned, with their lives as ships being extinguished one after another.

At the same time, the 2nd Air Fleet succeeded in annihilating the American air forces deployed in the Philippines. Unlike the 1st Air Fleet, the 2nd Air Fleet faced strong resistance, but the Zero fighters operated by the fleet clearly surpassed the P-36s and P-40s in performance, and the skill of the crew was also outstanding, making it a one-sided battle.

Furthermore, two days later, the land-based attack aircraft of the base air group in the sea off the coast of Malay achieved the feat of sinking the latest British battleship Prince of Wales and the battlecruiser Repulse. This was the world's first achievement in naval history of sinking battleships at sea using only aircraft. Amidst the successive victories, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, the Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet, faced an unexpected visitor.

"First of all, congratulations on your victory in battle."

Bowing respectfully was Ryūkaku Hiranuma, a self-proclaimed gentleman who had brought the Ship's Intelligence Lexicon and the Chronicle of Intense Reflection to then-Rear Admiral Yamamoto.

"I brought the Chronicle of Intense Reflection to the publisher with your advice, Yamamoto-san, and thanks to that, it seems to have sold reasonably well. So, this is the royalty I received at that time."

Hiranuma took out a bulging envelope from his pocket and handed it to Yamamoto.

"This is a legitimate reward you obtained through the labor of your creation. Moreover, the destruction of the oil tanker and oil tank in the Pearl Harbor attack was inspired by the book that you wrote. Is it really okay for you to receive royalties on top of all the help you've given us so far?"

Despite the gratitude and praise, and the words of reluctance from Yamamoto, Hiranuma smiled and shook his head slightly.

"Rather than being used for the hobby of someone like me in the common people, it would be more pleasing for the gold in the envelope to be used by someone like you, who is carrying the burden of the nation in this war. Please, don't hesitate to accept it."

Saying so while pushing the envelope onto Yamamoto, Hiranuma, on the other hand, brought up the main topic.

"Soon, the 1st Air Fleet is expected to return triumphantly from Hawaii. What are your plans for them after this? Well, it's fine within the scope you can answer."

Asking about the future of the 1st Air Fleet, the Imperial Navy's supreme force, is essentially demanding to be informed of top-secret information. Yamamoto is well aware of this. However, considering Hiranuma's contributions based on his knowledge so far and his continuous economic support, it cannot be disregarded outright. Therefore, the response is phrased vaguely.

"We are considering assigning the crew to rest and the maintenance of the ship. Once that is completed, we are thinking of supporting the ongoing operations in the southern region. As it is a military matter, I cannot provide detailed information."

In response to Yamamoto's explanation, Hiranuma nodded slightly with an expression that seemed to suggest he had anticipated this.

"While it's a prudent approach, it seems a bit wasteful. Deploying the 1st Air Fleet to the already decided southern region is akin to using a butcher's knife to cut a chicken. Or perhaps, one could say it's behavior that gives the American military time to recover, almost an act benefiting the enemy."

For Yamamoto, who believed that there was no way for Japan to win other than through a short decisive war and early peace, Hiranuma's words about giving the US military time were both a joy of finding a comrade and a painful truth.

"Hiranuma-san, I would like to ask you who has written this insightful masterpiece, what you think the 1st Air Fleet and the Imperial Navy should do in the future."

Yamamoto's question seemed like a casual inquiry, but in reality, it was a test of Hiranuma's insight.

"Before we get into that, isn't the American carriers' presence the biggest headache for you right now?"

In response to a question answered with another question by Hiranuma, Yamamoto did not find this behavior disrespectful. Perhaps, he thought Hiranuma might be testing him in the same way.

"That's correct. In the attack on Pearl Harbor, we were able to sweep away the battleships of the Pacific Fleet, but on the other hand, we couldn't take down a single aircraft carrier. If these carriers, with their mobility and striking power in the vast Pacific, launch a guerrilla war against us, it is clear that we will struggle to respond."

The expression of the Imperial Navy admiral changed from a soft social demeanor to one of severity, affirming Hiranuma's words.

"The remaining headache is the Navy General Staff and the gunnery faction, isn't it?"

Instead of enemies like the Allied air forces or American submarines, Hiranuma turned the spearhead toward his own organization, causing Yamamoto to be slightly taken aback.

"The Navy General Staff sees the blockade of the United States and Australia as the main path, in other words, as invincible endurance. This is incompatible with your idea of a short decisive war and early peace, Yamamoto-san. And regarding the treatment of the artillerymen, you must also be struggling. Despite knowing from the attacks on Pearl Harbor and the Battle of the Malacca Strait that battleships cannot resist airplanes, the gunners stubbornly refuse to admit it. Moreover, they are sulking, claiming there is no place for their activities. It's quite troublesome."

To Hiranuma's straightforward words, Yamamoto felt as if his true feelings were being seen through. Indeed, he was troubled by the differences in opinion with the Navy General Staff and the handling of battleships.

"So, there is a battlefield that can serve as a lure for the American aircraft carriers, align with the goals of the Navy General Staff, and relieve the dissatisfaction of the gunners."

In response to Hiranuma's mysterious words, Yamamoto leaned forward involuntarily.

"Does such a place really exist, where one stone can kill three birds?"

Ignoring the behavior uncharacteristic of the Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet, Hiranuma, with a serious but somewhat sarcastic expression, stated the straightforward conclusion.

"It's Brisbane, the third-largest city in Australia. It is currently the largest stronghold of the Allied forces, a hub of resistance, and at the same time, their biggest weakness since Pearl Harbor is no longer functioning."