Chapter 46 - Banquet of the Massacre

The carriers of the Third, Fourth, and Fifth Fleets launched the Zero fighters and Type 1 attackers, bringing the British fleet into their sight without much delay. Many of the planes in these fleets had sustained damage from the attacks over the past four days. Consequently, both the Zero fighters and Type 1 attackers had significantly reduced operational aircraft. In response, Vice Admiral Nagumo had ordered prioritized repairs for the Type 1s. Through overnight repairs, the number of operational Type 1 attackers had successfully increased.

"To all Type 1 attackers. The targets are all battleships. Among the Funryū units, the Third Fleet will target the enemy's first and second ships, the Fourth Fleet will target the third and fourth ships, and the Fifth Fleet will aim for the fifth and sixth ships. For the torpedo squadrons, the Fourth Fleet will target the first ship, the second ship for the Fifth Fleet, and the third ship for the Third Fleet. Attacks will be led by the Funryū units, followed by the torpedo squadrons. The Zero fighter units will follow the instructions of the fighter squadron commander."

The overall command of the attack squadrons was led by Commander Fuchida, following the second and fourth attacks.

'Two sorties in two days. The higher-ups are really pushing us hard.'

Despite grumbling inwardly, fatigue wasn't overwhelming. Indeed, the overnight interval made a significant difference. While not as energetic as during the second attack, they weren't as exhausted as during the fourth.

It was reported by the Type 1 reconnaissance aircraft on contact duty that the targeted battleships comprised of the King George V-class for the first and second ships, the Renown as the third ship, the Nelson-class for the fourth and fifth ships, and the Malaya for the sixth ship. The torpedo squadrons targeted the first three ships because they were all known for their high speed. Although exact details were unknown, it was estimated that both the King George V-class and the Renown could reach speeds between 28 and 29 knots, while the other three ships could achieve speeds of approximately 21 to 23 knots.

If the King George V-class and the Renown intended to break through the first and second fleet lines to intercept the friendly mobile force, only the Kongō-class battleships would be able to pursue. However, even the Kongō-class battleships couldn't outmatch the King George V-class battleships. Hence, the plan was to cripple their mobility with carrier-based aircraft and, if possible, sink them.

The pivotal Type 1 attackers had seen a decrease in operational aircraft to less than 20% of their number at the start of the war by yesterday. However, due to the diligent efforts and dedication of the maintenance crew, their numbers had recovered to nearly 30% with 64 operational aircraft. The sorties consisted of 17 Type 1 attackers for the Third Fleet, 24 for the Fourth Fleet, and 23 for the Fifth Fleet. The Third Fleet had fewer Type 1s because they had attacked the American battleship fleet during the second attack yesterday. Though their targets were destroyers, the anti-aircraft fire from the American battleships caused significantly more damage compared to other squadrons targeting the British fleet.

Each fleet had six aircraft equipped with the Funryū-1s, while the rest carried torpedoes. Initially, 18 aircraft equipped with the Funryū-1s split into sections and approached the enemy battleship formation. Each targeted their designated ship with the Funryū-1s. Commander Fuchida, aiming for the enemy's first ship, led a section that scored two hits, while other sections achieved at least one hit, with some hitting all their targets.

All battleships were heavily damaged on their port side due to concentrated attacks from the Funryū-1s. Consequently, the anti-aircraft fire from the port side of the battleships noticeably decreased. Meanwhile, the torpedo squadrons initiated their assault towards the British battleships from the port side. To decrease the chance of being hit by torpedoes, the British battleships maneuvered to minimize their target area. However, the torpedo squadrons anticipated this, and each aircraft, after swinging their noses to the right, quickly changed their course to the left.

The anti-aircraft fire from the British battleships was intense, far surpassing what they faced during the Indian Ocean battle. However, there was no way to get an accurate gunfire if the ship was turning. Nonetheless, one unlucky Type 1 attacker was hit by machine gun fire and exploded. While other aircraft were hit, only that one was lost. The remaining aircraft, fueled by the determination of their crew, dropped their torpedoes. 45 torpedoes surged forward, aiming to pierce the sides of two King George V-class battleships and the Renown.

Three pillars of water spouted from the port side of the first ship, four from the second, and two from the third. The hit rate was only around twenty percent. However, it would be more accurate to say that it was not due to the incompetence of the Japanese pilots, but rather the excellent maneuvering skills of the English battleship captains. Still, even with the latest Type 91 aerial torpedoes boasting nearly double the explosive power of the early models, it was no easy feat to cripple the King George V-class battleships, which had earned the nickname "unsinkable" after enduring concentrated attacks from both sides. The second ship listed heavily to port, in a state that could lead to capsizing at any moment. The first and third ships also leaned heavily to port, all three practically immobilized at sea.

While the British battleship fleet suffered heavy losses from the attacks of the Type 1 attackers, the cruisers also faced relentless assaults from the Zero fighters. About 250 Zero fighters conducted low-altitude bombing raids on 12 English cruisers. Despite nearly ten planes being shot down by intense anti-aircraft fire, the remaining ones successfully dropped their bombs.

Of the 250 kg bombs dropped, only about ten percent hit their targets. However, there was no cruiser that could withstand the 250 kg bombs, which weighed twice as much as the 20 cm shells of heavy cruisers. Each hit pierced through the horizontal armor and unleashed its explosive power deep within the ship. While the effectiveness of the 250 kg bombs against battleships might be questioned, they were devastating against cruisers. None of the British cruisers escaped unscathed; all saw a significant decrease in combat or mobility capability, or both.

With the British fleet battered and bruised, the First and Second Fleets pressed on. Ten battleships, along with ten heavy cruisers and sixteen destroyers, aimed their guns and torpedo launchers at three sinking battleships, three damaged battleships, and twelve heavily damaged cruisers. The British battleships were slow, and many cruisers had their engines damaged by the 250 kg bombs, leaving them unable to escape. It was an opportunity for the enemy, and there was no reason to hesitate. There was no need for mercy. Vice Admiral Kondō ordered the commencement of the attack. The massacre by Japan's surface strike vessels was about to begin in the North Atlantic.