Chapter 19 - Scout Plane Hunting

At dawn on February 14, 1942, the First Fleet, along with the 1st and 2nd Air Fleets, reached a point 200 nautical miles east of Brisbane. A total of 84 planes, consisting of one squadron of Zero fighters from each aircraft carrier of the 2nd Air Fleet, along with four Type 1 recon planes for forward reconnaissance, navigation support, and command control, took off. The combined attack force of 88 planes was tasked with sweeping enemy fighters that were believed to be deployed at Brisbane's airfield.

Simultaneously, a total of 36 Type 1 recon planes from the 1st and 2nd Air Fleets were dispatched in two waves to search for the presumed presence of American and Australian fleets lurking in the surrounding waters. Additionally, two Type 1 recon planes infiltrated the intermediate airspace between the fleet and Brisbane. These aircraft were tasked with patrolling to quickly detect enemy aircraft attacks, equipped with radar systems that could see much farther than the human eye, and manned by carefully selected and skilled crew members.

The fleet's formation placed the vanguard First Fleet furthest to the west, with the 2nd and 1st Air Fleets positioned to the east. They were prepared for air attacks from Brisbane and, in the event of locating an enemy fleet, the attack squadrons would immediately launch from the 1st Air Fleet. Furthermore, a convoy of transport ships, protected by cruisers and destroyers of the Maritime Escort Force, was providing logistical support to these three fleets.

First Fleet

- Battleships Nagato, Mutsu, Ise, Hyūga, Yamashiro, Fusō

- Heavy cruisers Aoba, Kinugasa, Furutaka, Kako

- Destroyers Asagumo, Yamagumo, Natsugumo, Minegumo, Asashio, Ōshio, Michishio, Arashio

1st Air Fleet

- Akagi (36 × A6Ms, 27 × Type 1s, 6 × Type 1 recon)

- Kaga (48 × A6Ms, 27 × Type 1s, 3 × Type 1 recon)

- Sōryū (36 × A6Ms, 18 × Type 1s, 6 × Type 1 recon)

- Hiryū (36 × A6Ms, 18 × Type 1s, 6 × Type 1 recon)

- Shōkaku (48 × A6Ms, 27 × Type 1s, 3 × Type 1 recon)

- Zuikaku (48 × A6Ms, 27 × Type 1s, 3 × Type 1 recon)

- Kamikaku (48 × A6Ms, 27 × Type 1s, 3 × Type 1 recon)

- Amakaku (48 × A6Ms, 27 × Type 1s, 3 × Type 1 recon)

- Battleship Hiei

- Heavy cruiser Tone

- Destroyers Akizuki, Teruzuki, Hatsukaze, Yukikaze, Amatsukaze, Tokitsukaze, Urakaze, Isokaze, Hamakaze, Tanikaze

2nd Air Fleet

- Ryūjō (24 × A6Ms, 9 × Type 1 recon)

- Zuihō (24 × A6Ms, 3 × Type 1 recon)

- Shōhō (24 × A6Ms, 3 × Type 1 recon)

- Ryūhō (24 × A6Ms, 3 × Type 1 recon)

- Chitose (24 × A6Ms, 3 × Type 1 recon)

- Chiyoda (24 × A6Ms, 3 × Type 1 recon)

- Mizuho (24 × A6Ms, 3 × Type 1 recon)

- Battleship Kirishima

- Heavy cruiser Chikuma

- Destroyers Suzutsuki, Hatsuzuki, Kuroshio, Oyashio, Hayashio, Natsushio, Kagerō, Shiranui, Kasumi, Arare

The combined strength of the three fleets consisted of 15 aircraft carriers, 8 battleships, 6 cruisers, and 28 destroyers, with a total of 774 aircraft on board carriers alone. Among the 23 aircraft carriers and battleships combined, the relatively low number of destroyers, at 28, was attributed to the ongoing progress in the southern campaign. While the Philippines and Malay fronts had already been largely decided, it did not mean that the Allied forces had been completely eliminated. It should be noted that the overall command of these three fleets is under Vice Admiral Takasu of the First Fleet, with Vice Admiral Nagumo of the 1st Air Fleet in charge of aerial operations.

"Will the enemy fleet really appear?"

Nagumo's concern revolved around whether the enemy fleet would engage with them.

'At the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor, the anxiety was about whether things would go smoothly, but in this brief period, the Vice Admiral's worries have changed considerably.'

Smiling wryly to himself, Rear Admiral Kusaka fulfilled his duties as Chief of Staff.

"If this were in Hawaii or Midway, the Americans would likely have withdrawn their local forces and avoided direct combat. However, Brisbane is a major city with Australia's third-largest population. Evacuating all residents is not practical, nor is it impossible. In that case, the military cannot abandon the civilians. Therefore, the American and Australian forces would gather available forces for a thorough resistance. Additionally, according to reports from I-boats, there has been a significant increase in transport ships entering Brisbane since our attack warning, confirming this movement."

The three fleets were currently located between 190 and 200 nautical miles east of Brisbane. This distance placed them within the operational range of enemy fighters and bombers believed to be deployed near Brisbane.

"Incoming radar contact! Single or small number of aircraft. Bearing 270 degrees, distance 60 nautical miles. Likely B-17s judging by their speed."

Upon receiving the report from the radar operator, 1st Air Staff, Commander Genda, immediately reported to Nagumo.

"We should deploy a squadron from the Akagi for interception. We've just launched our reconnaissance planes, and it's crucial to avoid the enemy knowing our exact position in this situation."

While listening to Genda's words, Nagumo recalled the events from the Chronicle of Intense Reflection. In that novel, during a battle between mobile fleets, Country N actively hunted reconnaissance planes released by Country A using guided combat aircraft through aerial control, successfully concealing the fleet's position.

"Alright, deploy them. I leave the decision of which squadron to send to Genda and the Akagi air group commander."

Nagumo's decision was swift. Having experienced the attack on Pearl Harbor, he understood that naval aviation battles at sea were a matter of split-second decisions.

"Enemy aircraft, single, altitude approximately 1.000 meters. Likely a B-17 because of its four-engine fuselage."

One of the Type 1 recon planes, which was supposed to be on patrol duty in the intermediate airspace between the fleet and Brisbane, spotted the enemy aircraft. Taking quick action, it seemed that the four Zeros should have no trouble intercepting the B-17. The fighters were equipped with four 20 mm autocannons, and their crews were all well-trained before the war. No matter how heavily defended the four-engine heavy bombers were, it was impossible for them to withstand the bombardment of sixteen 20 mm autocannons.

Furthermore, the radar confirmed the enemy planes. It seemed that both the information-focused American and Australian forces were determined to locate and engage them.

"Issue interception orders to the Kaga. Don't let any of them get close. Also, add more patrol planes. It's better to be safe than sorry."

Nagumo's dignified voice echoed through the bridge of the Akagi. Contrary to his tone, the battle for Brisbane has begun quietly, starting with the subtle and sinister hunt for reconnaissance planes.