Chapter 26 - Annihilation of Enemy Mobile Units

Among the 198 Type 1 attack planes that participated in the first wave, only 185 returned to the carriers after passing through the perilous front lines. Considering the damage inflicted on the enemy, the losses were within acceptable limits.

However, there was a significant disparity in the damage situation among these Type 1s due to differences in attack methods. Out of the 72 planes that utilized the Funryū-1 missiles, none were shot down, and only around 10 sustained damage from enemy fire. On the contrary, of the 126 Type 1 recon planes that attacked the American aircraft carriers with torpedoes, 13 did not return, resulting in a loss rate exceeding 10%. Furthermore, over 60% of the damaged aircraft were rendered inoperable, and the ones deemed fit for a return sortie were less than half of the total.

The reason the damage caused by the Type 1 attackers attacking the American task force with the Funryū-1 was relatively minor lies in the fact that many of these attacks targeted cruisers and destroyers positioned on the outer edges of the difficult-to-support circular formation. Above all, the use of the Funryū-1 itself was a crucial factor. American cruisers and destroyers were more eager to defend against the incoming Funryū-1 than the launching Type 1 attackers, reducing the anti-aircraft fire directed at the latter. Ideally, neutralizing the launching Type 1 attackers would render the missiles ineffective. However, given that this weapon was encountered for the first time, such considerations may not have been at the forefront of the decision-making process.

On the other hand, despite all ships having suffered damage from the Funryū-1 in advance, the torpedo bombers incurred significant losses. In the current era, marked by remarkable improvements in targeting systems and gun performance, close-range attacks such as torpedo strikes or dive bombing can be considered high-risk tactics. If the aircraft involved were the poorly armored B4Y or B5N torpedo bombers, or if the anti-aircraft fire had not been significantly reduced by the missiles beforehand, the torpedo squadron might have suffered catastrophic damage. The American ships' anti-aircraft gunfire was indeed formidable, and their barrage was dense.

. . .

"1st and 2nd Carrier Divisions, target the remaining A1 vessels. 5th and 6th Carrier Divisions, go for target A2. Follow Lieutenant Commander Shimazaki's instructions for the attack methods of the 5th and 6th Carrier Divisions."

Under Commander Fuchida's leadership, the Type 1 attackers split into two groups, with 57 planes targeting A1 and 65 planes targeting A2. Meanwhile, Fuchida delegated responsibility for taking care of A2 to Shimazaki as he instructed the attack procedure against A1.

"For attack planes, prioritize attacks in order of Sōryū, Hiryū, and then Kaga squadrons. Instructions for the Akagi squadron will be provided later. Regarding the targets, leave it to each unit leader, but be cautious not to concentrate the attacks on specific ships."

The fleet referred to as A1 was originally a formidable mobile force centered around two aircraft carriers, surrounded by two cruisers and eight destroyers. However, at present, the two aircraft carriers are no longer present, and the escort vessels have reduced from eight destroyers to seven. Moreover, every floating vessel has already endured attacks from the Funryū-1s, with none remaining undamaged.

Against this unit, 12 planes from the Sōryū squadron split into six each and deployed to the left and right. Their target was clear: focus on the two cruisers, the largest remaining prey among the surviving ships.

On the other hand, the surviving American vessels, unlike the previous encounter, directed their anti-aircraft weapons towards the Type 1 attackers, not the missiles. In a single engagement, the Americans had deciphered the true nature of the Funryū-1s and promptly devised countermeasures.

However, projectiles launched from the damaged anti-aircraft weapons on the American vessels, which had already suffered significant damage from the previous attacks, were notably weaker than in the initial stages. While some aircraft sustained damage, none were shot down. Of the 12 launched missiles, three experienced mechanical issues and dropped out, but the remaining nine penetrated the two cruisers.

The American cruisers, which could withstand 120 kg shells from heavy cruisers or 60 kg shells from light cruisers, could not repel the approaching missiles with a weight nearing 1.000 kg. The cruiser hit by three torpedoes emitted thick smoke and stopped on the water, while the one struck by five of them literally became a bonfire on the seas.

Simultaneously with the conclusion of the Sōryū squadron's attack, the Hiryū squadron, consisting of 13 planes, initiated a simultaneous assault, dividing into two groups and targeting two destroyers. The proficiency of this unit was no less than that of the Sōryū squadron, with nine of the thirteen missiles finding their mark on the two destroyers. Unlike cruisers, destroyers that lacked substantial armor have no means to withstand such an impact. The two destroyers were enveloped in thick smoke in no time, and one of them, whether ignited by torpedoes or depth charges, erupted in a massive explosion and sank.

The Kaga squadron, consisting of 16 planes, divided into three squads and fired three to four missiles into each of the targeted three destroyers. The three destroyers struck by the fatal blows were enveloped in thick smoke and flames, leaving their wrecks on the open sea.

"Akagi second and third squadron, finish off the two destroyers still resisting. Instructions for the first squadron will be provided later."

After the conclusion of the second attack, the operational aircraft of the Type 1 attackers of the Akagi air group consisted, originally, of eight planes in the first squadron and four planes each in the second and third squadrons. During the second attack, the first squadron, which attacked with the missiles, had most of its aircraft intact, while the second and third squadrons, which conducted torpedo attacks, suffered successive damage to their planes. To balance the forces, Fuchida extracted two Type 1s from the first squadron and temporarily incorporated them into the second and third squadrons. Then, the combined 10 planes from the second and third squadrons launched a total of 10 Funryū-1s torpedoes, six of which hit their targets.

"Akagi first squadron, target the cruiser on the left. Sink it at all costs!"

The cruiser hit by three missiles from the Sōryū squadron, though still afloat, showed a slight reduction in the amount of smoke emitted, indicating signs of recovery. For the other ships, there was no sign of any remaining vessels likely to avoid sinking, clearly suffering fatal wounds.

The Akagi first squadron closed in on the cruiser that had lost its ability to counterattack and launched five missiles. Of these, except for one experiencing trouble, the missiles approached the cruiser, and four of them hit. A few moments later, the cruiser erupted in a massive explosion. Perhaps one of the Funryū-1s poured its explosive energy into the ammunition storage.

Shortly after the attacks by the 1st and 2nd Carrier Divisions concluded, Shimazaki, who had targeted A2, reported, "Our unit has concluded the attack, sinking two cruisers and six destroyers. No enemy ships remain afloat on the open sea."