Chapter 4: Boys Ruin Everything

The Welcoming took place in the Theater of Tales, and each school had its own entrance which was split into two halves. The west doors opened into the side for the Good students, decorated with white and blue pews, crystal friezes, and glittering bouquets of glass flowers. The east doors opened into the side for Evil students, with warped wooden benches, carvings of murder and torture, and deadly stalactites dangling from the burnt ceiling. As students herded into their halves for the Welcoming, fairies and wolves guarded the silver marble aisle between them.

The doors to the Evil entrance swung open as Nevers walked in and made their way to the seats. Sophie could be easily spotted amongst the heard with her shiny blond hair and bright green eyes. She didn't look too happy right now, I couldn't blame her, I'd also be upset if I had to wear her horrid uniform. Sophie battled her way to the aisle, waved her arms, and opened her mouth to yell, when a hand yanked her under a rotted bench.

Agatha tackled her in a hug. "I found the School Master's tower! It's in the moat and there's guards, but if we can just get up there then we can—"

"Athena?! How in the HELL are you HERE?"

"We have no idea- but we need to get out of here so-" said Agatha

"You're wearing my clothes! Agatha make her change clothes with me." said Sophie, staring at my pink dress.

"Huh? I'm not making her do anything!" said Agatha

"Quick! It will solve everything."

"You can't be serious! Sophie, we can't stay here!"

"Exactly," Sophie smiled. "I need to be in your school and you need to be in mine. Just like we talked about, remember? Doesn't matter if I get Athena's clothes or yours."

"But your father, my mother, my cat!" Agatha sputtered. "You don't know what they're like here! They'll turn us into snakes or squirrels or shrubbery! Sophie, we have to get back home!"

"Why? What do I have in Gavaldon to go back to?" Sophie said.

Agatha blushed with hurt. "You have . . . um, you have . . ."

"Right. Nothing. Now, my dress, please."

Agatha folded her arms.

"Then I'll take it myself,"

Sophie scowled. But right as she grabbed Agatha by her flowered sleeve, something made her stop cold.

Agatha followed, exasperated. "I don't know what's gotten into yo—"

"I'm not dealing with this." I sighed as I took a seat next to Kiko, happy to get away from Sophie and Agatha for just a minute-

I listened as sounds grew louder and louder. Every Good girl around me bolted upright.

"What the-"

"They're coming!!" Said Kiko giddily.

"What who?"

"The boys!"

From the hall, the stomp of boots, the clash of steel. The west doors flew open to sixty gorgeous boys in sword fight. Sun-kissed skin peeked through light blue sleeves and stiff collars; tall navy boots matched high-cut waistcoats and knotted slim ties, each embroidered with a single gold initial. As the boys playfully crossed blades, their shirts came untucked from tight beige breeches, revealing slender waists and flashes of muscle. Sweat glistened on glowing faces as they thrust down the aisles, boots cracking on marble, until swiftly the sword fight climaxed, boys pinning boys against pews. In a last chorus of movement, they drew roses from their shirts and with a shout of "Milady!" threw them to the girls who most caught their eye. (Beatrix found herself with enough roses to plant a garden.)