Chapter 8: Surviving Fairytales

The last class of the day, Surviving Fairy Tales, was the only one that mixed students from Good and Evil. Both schools reported to the Blue Forest gates, where fairies sorted them into Forest Groups, eight Evers and eight Nevers in each. As other students found their leaders (an ogre for Group 2, a centaur for Group 8, a lily nymph for 12) Agatha and I were the first to arrive under the flag stamped with a bloodred "3." along with Sophie. 

Agatha was really looking forward to finally talking to Sophie about everything that happened the last few days. Some of those things she didn't even tell me. But Sophie wouldn't even look at us.

"Can't we just go home?" Agatha begged.

"Why don't you go home before you fail or end up a mole rat?" Sophie fumed. "You're in my school."

"Then why won't it let us switch?"

Sophie spun. "Because you . . . Because we—"

"Maybe the School Master would be more convinced if you stopped insulting everyone for just one minute." I blinked.

"Maybe the School Master wouldn't have made a mistake if it wasn't for you! Maybe you're the true witch-"

"Need to go home," Agatha glared.

Sophie smiled her kindest smile. "Sooner or later, they'll see what's right." she said looking at me.

"We'll see about that," a voice resounded.

We turned to Tedros, who walked up and stood next to me. "Any luck with the necklace?" he asked. I shook my head.

"If you're itching for something to kill, how about yourself this time?" Agatha spat.

"'Thank you' would suffice," Tedros shot back. "I risked my life to kill that gargoyle."

"You killed an innocent child!" Agatha yelled.

"What?" I said shocked.

"I thought Agatha would have told you. I saved her from death against all instinct and reason!" Tedros roared.

Sophie gaped at them. "You three know each other?"

"We're in the same school. We were bound to bump into each other at some point." I answered.

Agatha swivelled to her. "Athena's knows him. I would much rather not know him at all." 

Panic set into Sophie's eyes as she saw the way Tedros was looking at me.

"Well, my name's Sophie. I'm sure we would've been acquainted by now if it wasn't for the School Master's slight mix-up."

"My, my," Tedros said, gazing into Sophie's tantalizing green eyes. "How are you surviving in that place?"

"Because I knew you'd rescue me," Sophie breathed.

I coughed to remind them I was still there.

"You've got to be kidding," said a girl's voice behind them.

They turned to see Beatrix, under the bloody "3," along with Dot, Hort, Ravan, Millicent, and the rest of their Forest Group. To chart all the dirty looks thrown in that moment, one would end up with something resembling a bowl of spaghetti.

"Mmmm," said a voice below.

They looked down to find a four-foot gnome with wrinkly brown skin, a belted green coat, and a pointy orange hat frowning from a hole in the ground.

"Bad group," he murmured.

Grumbling loudly, Yuba the Gnome crawled out of his burrow, pulled the gate open with his stubby white staff, and led his students into the Blue Forest.