Chapter 10: True Love

I woke up in the infirmary, for the second time. My neck was sore and bruised, and my head was pounding. As I opened my eyes, I could see Tedros, who was already awake, next to me.

"You didn't have to stay the night," I breathed.

"I wanted to."

I met Tedros' eyes which looked much more exhausted than usual.

"Did you get any sleep?" I asked.

"No, but it's fine, I'm fine. Are you fine?"

"Yeah, I'm fine now. A little bit sore but that's it. Thank you, for staying with me." I smiled.

I could hear footsteps sounding on the floor. I presumed it was the nurse as there was no one else in here with us.

"Oh good, you're awake! Hopefully this is the last time I'm going to have to see you." she hooted. 

"I don't exactly plan on coming back soon." I say with a smile.

"Here are some creams you can use for your bruises, and a few potions for headaches. They should disappear in the next few days. You're free to go now, breakfast is about to start." The nurse sent us off.

Tedros stood up and held out his hand for me to take. I slipped mine in his and he helped me up. As we walked out into the hall, I could feel the stares of all the Evers around me. I clenched Tedros' hand harder. He noticed because he turned to me and whispered. "It's okay, you're okay. I'm here for you." His words reassured me.

We entered the cafeteria, where many other Evers were already eating their breakfast, I couldn't spot Agatha anywhere. A nymph handed us our baskets and we sat down at an empty table. I only had time to take a few bites before Agatha stormed in the cafeteria headed my way.

"Athena, we need to talk." She said firmly. Tedros grabbed my arm before I could get up. I could tell by his eyes that he didn't want me talking to Agatha alone. "Alone."

"It's okay," I smiled. He let go of my arm and watched me walk away with Agatha. He had a stern look in his eyes.

"What's up."

"So now you're getting all close with Tedros?" Agatha shot as we kept walking.

"He's actually been there for me, unlike you, or Sophie!" 

"I'm sorry."

"What did you want to tell me." 

"Not here."

Agatha dragged me until we found an empty room to talk.

"We went to the School Master's tower last night."

"How did you-" Agatha cut me off.

"We saw the Storian Athena."

"Why do you sound worried?"

"It started your story. We can't go home until your story ends, and that's only if it ends with us going home."

"My story? That can't be right."

"It is. The School Master was there. He gave us a riddle to solve, I've been at it all morning but can't seem to figure it out. The sooner we can figure it out, the sooner we can finish your story and go home!"

"What's the riddle?" I asked.

"What's the one thing Evil can never have... and the one thing Good can never do without? Got any ideas?"

"True love." I muttered.

Agatha's eyes grew wide. We found the answer to the riddle. Agatha dashed away like usual. She probably had to tell Sophie right away