Chapter 17: Trial Eve

Per tradition, there were no classes the day before the Trial. Instead, the 15 Ever and 15 Never challengers were given time to scout the Blue Forest. So while unpicked students worked on Circus talents, we walked through the gates. Sophie was following Tedros ahead of me.

Though the rest of the grounds had fallen prey to a slow autumnal death, the Blue Forest glistened, lush as ever, in midday sun. All week, the students had tried to wheedle out of their teachers what obstacles the challengers would face but they professed ignorance. The School Master designed the Trial in secret, giving professors only the power to secure its borders. Teachers couldn't even watch the contest, since he cast a veiling spell over the Blue Forest for the whole night.

"The School Master forbids our interference," Professor Dovey mumbled to her class, clearly distraught. "He prefers Trials to simulate the dangers of the Woods beyond reason or responsibility."

But as we crowded into the Forest, none of us could believe that a night from now, this beautiful playground would turn into a hellish gauntlet. Together, the Evers and Nevers herded past the sparkling fronds of the Fernfield, snacking possums in the Pine Glen, the Blue Brook tumbling with trout, before they remembered they were enemies and split up. 

Tedros shoved past Sophie. "Follow me."

"I'll go on my own," she said softly. "I haven't earned your protection."

Tedros turned. "Beatrix said you cheated to get to number one. Is that true?"

"Of course not!"

"Then why did you fail all the pre-Trial challenges?"

Tears pearled Sophie's eyes. "I wanted to prove I could survive without you. So you'd be proud of me."

Tedros stared at her. "You lost . . . on purpose?"

She nodded.

"Are you insane!" he exploded. "The Nevers—they'll kill you!"

"You'd risk your life to prove I'm Good," Sophie sniffled. "I'm willing to fight for you, too. Besides, my biggest threat is Athena and she's entering after you, so we'll be together by the time she comes."

"You're right, and maybe you should explore on your own," her prince said, pulling away. "You need to feel confident in here without me. Especially after losing so many challenges."

Both of them split up and I went a different direction to avoid both of them. There wasn't much to see in the forest since the School Master cloaked his traps so we wouldn't know what was coming, but it was still nice to get an idea of where we can go, and any good hiding spots.

We had the rest of the day off, most of the Trial students were heading to the library, preparing themselves for the trial. I headed down the good tunnel when I heard voices.

"You said it was important!" Tedros barked.

"The Nevers said she cheats with Agatha!" Beatrix said.

"Sophie's not friends with Agatha! Agatha's a witch—"

"They both are! Agatha turns into a cockroach to give her answers! What if we're wrong about Athena."

"A cockroach? You're not just petty and jealous, but completely insane!"

"They're both villains, Teddy, they're using you!"

"You're the one listening to Nevers! You know why Sophie lost those challenges? She wanted to keep me safe! If that's a villain, then what are you—"

I couldn't hear them anymore and hurried to the library. I looked through the golden shelves, grabbing any book that seemed useful for the Trial.

The rules of the Trial by Tale were few and precise. At the moment the sun went down, the first two challengers would enter the Blue Forest. Every fifteen minutes, another two would enter according to their pre-Trial ranks, until the last pair entered more than three hours after the first. Once inside, Nevers could attack Evers with their talents and any spell learned in class, while Evers could defend themselves with approved weapons or counterspells. The School Master's conjures would hunt them both. There were no other rules. It was the challenger's duty to recognize mortal danger and drop his enchanted handkerchief; the moment it touched ground, he would be safely removed from the Trial. Upon the first glint of sunrise, the wolves would call the end and whoever returned through the gates would be named the winner. There had never been more than one. Quite often, there were none at all.