Prologue

Prologue

Paige Almond POV

My feet rush over the woodland floor. My frenzied breath pressed against the walls of my chest, squeezing my lungs against my rib cage. My feet struck my tummy as they lifted to outpace the rogues.

"Run zig-zag!" Ollie shrieked as she ran into the brunches, resulting in two more rogues, including the one that was pursuing me.

"Fuck you!" I shouted at her rather than the rouges, and my profanity seemed to slow me down. The dark dirt kicked up behind me as my bleary eyes looked for an exit. I couldn't shift, even if I wanted to. Not without a mate.

I could hear her in my mind, but I wasn't linked enough to shift.

'Run faster'

"Why don't you shift and run faster?" I bite back at my inner wolf. I could hear growls and snaps behind me, and with one quick glance, I could wet myself because the little, skinny wolf was snapping directly at the foot of my heels, and I could feel its saliva spilling on my naked foot.

But just one short look caused me to miss the tree limb and tumble straight over it, sending me flying across the forest. I rolled twice before colliding violently with the rough bark of the trees.

"Ahh!" My cry resonated across the dense forest. But the snarl and grow reverberate further into my ears drum. I could feel them getting closer, their mouth hungry for a taste of my skin.

"Get away!" I yelled, my eyes closed, my knees pulled up against my torso, and my hands over my head. "No!" I muffled. But then I heard a harsher growl, and my head sprang up. The three ravenous wolves' heads turned to the direction of the snarl. Just a nanosecond later, a glossy black-coated wolf with piercing blue eyes appears from the tree. It was a rogue, too. As it has blue eyes.

Once you've lost all contact with the pack, the hue of the wolf eye becomes blue, and you're left to wonder alone.

I was gonna die. This wolf must be the leader. He had to be, because he was bigger than the others. However, when the other wolves drew away, their position became more aggressive. They leaned slightly onto their rear legs, preparing to attack. My respiration continued to race through my lips and nose as I watched everything unfold. A sandy brown wolf charges forward, and his neck snaps as the enormous black wolf grabs him by the throat.

He pushed him to the side, his posture fell as he prepared to strike, but the two smaller black wolves pounced on him. He grabbed and shook him over to the side before rapidly finishing off the next one. The final one gazed at the two dead wolves before fleeing.

Just as I was going to run away, the enormous wolf hissed. His gaze followed my every movement. I observed the wolf was gradually taking on a human appearance. When it came to stand, I recognized it as a woman because of her petite breasts, but as my gaze moved to her lower body, I saw she had a dick.

My eyes opened, and I felt my cheeks burn a pink rose against them.

"I—I wasn't looking." I whispered. When I looked up, she had gone behind a tree. She returned, dressed in t-shirts and shorts. Her beautiful black hair gleaming in the sunlight. She extended a helping hand, but I just gazed at it. She growled and quickly gripped it, causing sparks of electricity to drift through my body. She grumbled, and it appeared that she felt it too. She sensed a mate link. She suddenly withdrew her hand, causing me to stumble back against the tree.

"Ouch." I let out a moan of anguish.

She rushed away, and I was left crawling on the forest floor to her, my inner wolf screaming for her.

"Ma-mate." I stammered after her form, which vanished into the dark, green forest.