Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Paige POV

Something moist was being mopped across my face. It felt like kisses at first, but later like my face was being cleaned with a tongue. My eyelids opened to greet the darkness, but as the sleep faded and flowed from my bones, I recalled everything and felt the anguish in my gut.

The wet wiping on my face continued, and I grabbed the face of a black wolf; when I turned, I realized it was Sebastian. I moaned in agony and moved my body to the side. She whimpered.

"That's okay. "I am OK." Each phrase causes suffering.

"Don't talk." Her snarl vibrated every bone in my body. "And you are urging me not to murder them both."

I know what would happen if she murdered them both. She would charge herself with the death of not one, but two alphas, double the repercussions of whatever actions she took. It would make things worse. I realized that I was simply making matters worse and that I needed to play the game better.

"We need a plan, and we're working on it. I please them." The pain was gradually subsiding; it was as if she was absorbing everything, as I could hear her groan of anguish.

I attempted to draw my hands away, but her grasp had a fatal impact.

"I want to take everything." She gritted. And she did. I felt better. She backed away and sank on the floor. I swiftly sprang out of bed, grabbed her up, and placed her on the bed. I could see a bruise on her tummy. How much time was I hit?

"I'll feel better in a minute." She glanced at me, her fingertips brushed over my arms, and I felt the sparks again. It feels right. This was correct.

"I want to speak to the elders."

She chuckled. "You want to speak with the folks that expelled me in the first place. You have a wonderful strategy." She cynically declared.

I smacked her muscular leg, and it felt like I hit a wall.

"They were aware of the laws and directives. I'll see what I know."

She shakes her head. "Speaking with the elderly is not easy. Someone with rank had to."

I sighed as another impediment drew itself into my path. Then again, none of this was simple from the beginning. From the moment I discovered she was my mate till today.

"You've spoken to them previously, right?"

"I do. However, when I was in charge, they were rarely required. I didn't feel the need to use the law against anyone."

"So what did you do?"

"I throw them into something like community service. I didn't need the law or their commands since everyone should know what's right and wrong."

"Was it bad to want to imprint on me?" I asked.

"I really don't know." I was free to have you one minute and you were in my arms, the happiest baby I had ever seen. Then I lost all connection with my pack, with your father as the new Alpha."

"What I'm saying is that elders, like rules, may be problematic. If you can locate someone of high status to trust and get you in with them, you should ask thoughtful and intelligent questions."

She relaxed as the last of the bruises melted away from her tummy. I wasted no time and crawled upon her. "What if things were different?" What if you weren't exiled but remained the alpha? I'm curious whether you'd still want me as mate. I understand how alphas may be so arrogant.

"I was firm but not arrogant." She whispered. I sighed as I fell further into her smell. "You smell so lovely; why do people think you smell like a wet dog?"

"That is because I probably smell like one."

My furrowed forehead bumped against the pad of her muscular hand, which was gently supporting me. "I'm a rouge."

"You aren't an alpha."

"Not again." She spoke with sadness.

"I had the stink of rogue."

"You don't have to label yourself as such. To me, you are still the powerful leader." My fingers caressed her jawline before holding her up and pulling her in for a kiss.

"However, I am. I'm not a leader or anything." Her hand grasped mine. "I'm not even sure why you still see something in me. You understand that for whatever reason, we are unable to be together.

"I understand. But we're supposed to be. And we shall be." I comforted her.