Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Paige POV

I could feel Emilia's unease as we walked down the streets of humans. It was theoretically a normal community with lovely homes.

"All these brick barriers, separated from nature." She spoke as she gazed about the community. Our initial objective was to avoid drawing attention to ourselves, but with her frenzied glare, we did. She clutched and squirmed in her own sweatshirt whenever she heard a bird chirp.

It seemed like a great spot to me.

"Not officially, but does everyone have a forest in their backyard?" I said, remembering when we utilized Sebastian's backyard. This time, I opted to use the front entrance as ordinary people would.

"I can smell her odor; we're getting closer. No offense, but she smells."

"She told me truthfully." I exhaled. "My nose smells differently."

"She's your mate."

My brow wrinkled when I noticed she was walking on her tiptoes rather than her feet. When I discovered we weren't wearing shoes and were instead strolling barefoot, my brow wrinkled deeper.

"I believe we're already being picked out as crazy people because we're not wearing shoes." I said, snuggling into her sweatshirt.

"I figured it out the first time we walked onto this road. It's really silky. No rocks. Just a black surface. I must claim that things have progressed."

"Or you don't get out much."

"The forest and my companion are all—wow! For a rogue, she really outdid herself with a very magnificent house."

"That was my initial reaction, honestly."

Her modest patio had a table and two chairs that appeared to be in need of painting. We stepped onto the concrete surface. "Remember not to embrace or touch."

I nodded as I reached ahead and pressed the buzzer; we didn't have long to wait, as she wrenched the door open with a roar. Emilia quickly tucked me behind her, ready to fight.

Sebastian attempted to grab for me, but Emilia stopped her. "Do not touch her!" She gritted.

"She's my mate." Sebastian growled.

"We slip away to avoid touch with her. We merely came to ask a few questions."

As they scowled at each other, I could tell they'd get along well, despite the snark.

They look like they're about to rip each other apart. However, Sebastian gradually began to back away. "I won't touch her."

"That is what I said."

I forced her inside the home. It smells like Sebastian, with a husky aroma, yet Emilia's expression indicates otherwise. As Sebastian sat down, she removed the hoodie, showing her shorter hairstyle. As I glanced at her gorgeous face, it appeared to be magnetic, attracting me.

"We need to discuss." Emilia spit.

Sebastian snarled, but it did not force her to flinch. "I know I'm just a nasty mutt to you, but this is my house, and you should respect me in it until we go out there."

Emilia sighed. "You growled at me. I don't trust you."

"I haven't seen you in decades, Emilia; what are you talking about?"

"I know when we meet our mate, we all go into protective mode, but you nearly murdered our parents."

"They were taking her away." She supported the same argument as my parents. So I was effectively in the midst of two sides, each with an arm tugging to one side, which I was now leaning toward, Sebastian's side.

"You might have waited"

"She would have been okay with me. I would have been her parents and closest friend."

Emilia shakes her head. "That's where you'd have been completely wrong. She needs her family, not just you."

"Can we simply settle the playground here?"

"You were mistaken, but you were the best of the best Alpha."

Sebastian nodded.

"But now we need you to finish what you've begun."

"With?" Sebastian seemed perplexed.

"We need you to return and take the Alpha ranks back."