Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Paige POV

"I'm 23 years old, mama." I argued to my mother as I made my way down the hallway to my room, with her in tow. I needed to chat with her in order to hear her honest counsel without my father's noisy voice interrupting everything. I opened my room door, and the breeze was blowing the white curtains gently. I closed the door.

"I can make my own decisions." Talking to my mother was like talking to a best friend; I could simply lay it all out on the table without getting a menacing growl in return. I sat in the chair facing the dark forest, and I could hear distant howling, but not the one I wanted to hear.

"I want her, mother." I whispered. I had yearned for her ever since I touched her.

"I understand." She muttered as she carefully grabbed for the comb and began to run it through my lovely, black hair. "She had long, thick black hair like this." I stated this while playing with a strand of my hair.

"Do you recall the story of the Banish Alpha?"

I rolled my eyes. "You told me the story till I was 18, and I doubt I'd forget it."

"The story was about her."

"What's her name?"

"Sebastian Vinson."

"He was a vicious alpha who killed hundreds of wolves for invading his territory, and then one day he imprinted on his young mate and was exiled by the young..."

"That was me." I whispered. "I'm mate to the banish Alpha."

"I don't care how cruel she was or what she had done. I want her."

"Paige, I know you're thrilled to meet her, but wouldn't you want someone you can feel secure with? As I feel secure with your father."

I rolled my eyes. "I want her."

The brushes went through my hair before she began braiding it into a huge twist. She then grabbed for the rubber band and wrapped the ends to keep them from coming out.

My hair fell perfectly at my waist.

"It is not fair." I stated this with tears in my eyes. "It's unfair that everyone of my friends, enemies, and foes get their mate but I am not entitled to mine."

"There is a second mate out there for you."

"How will I find a second partner if I don't reject her?"

"She may be brought up, and you may formally reject her."

"I will not." I muttered.

"You must." Her warm hands rested on my shoulders as she perched on the sofa's armrest. Her hand gently reached up to my face, allowing me to look her in her dark brown eyes.

"Sebastian is a monster; she intended to steal you away from me."

"It doesn't matter. She has every right to."

"You're simply thrilled. Why don't you rest on it?" She bent down and kissed my forehead softly. "With time, you'll realize Sebastian isn't suited for you."

"She is mom. I know she is."

She groaned as my persistence prevailed. She stands up. "Just don't make your father mad. I...we do not want to be expelled from the pack. It is my responsibility to ensure that you are likewise in good hands for the rest of your life."

"It's okay, mom. Good night."

"Night. Make sure you lock the windows."

I nodded.