Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Paige POV

My wolf whined in my mind, knowing she couldn't be with her other half. My mother stepped in, her face filled with anxiety. Her teeth puncture her lips. She grabbed for the comb and motioned for me to sit on the chair. The guards were still outside on my balcony, and I could tell by their heartbeat that they were fatigued.

I sat in the chair. "I'd want to hear the story again." Why was she banished?" I snarled at my mother; I had every right to be angry with her.

"Sebastian Vinson is a criminal. She killed thousands of wolves."

"Was it in this pack?" I leaned back, and she began to undone my hair from the braid, I could see the tight curled pattern, but as she ran the comb against it and the curls slowly faded, leaving me with straight hair.

"No, our neighboring pack, the Blood Moon pack, disliked her and forged an alliance with other wolves. But it wasn't the main reason she was exiled."

"Continue," I urged.

"As I previously mentioned, your father was unable to have her attempt to remove you from our family. The elder discovers this."

"She would have cared for me." I let out a roar.

"You were a newborn, and we requested extra time, but she refused. So your father fight for you."

"And he won?" I scoffed.

"Whatever he's done is to keep you safe from her."

"There's something you or Dad aren't telling me." Sebastian seems to have been born into the lineage to be an alpha, and my father took that away.

"They never fight physically, because your father would have died. But it is more about the elders having you remain with us."

She attempted to cradle my face, but I smacked her hands away. "Don't touch me. I don't want any of you to touch me....I want her touch." I growled.

"Don't speak to your mother like that." My father's voice thunders. My head bows in deference, and I despise the fact that he became dictator by sheer chance.

"Leave us," he snarled at mom. She bowed and then walked out the door. I saw her leave. My mother appeared to be a slave rather than his mate, Luna.

He snapped my head to look at him, and I felt a tiny sting in my cheek from the smack. I was unable to heal as other wolves did.

"I know that everyone deserves a soulmate. But you deserve a far better mate than she."

"You understand that we are intended to be together. Whoever the goddess sent us should be our partner; compelling me to mate with someone else might upset the balance of power. What about his or her partner, huh? Will they not suffer? Won't my mate suffer?"

"She deserves to suffer!" He roared, and I cringed away in dread. I turned my face away, gritting my teeth.

"The announcement will begin now. I want you to hear everything."

**************

My father has rounded up everyone, young and old. It was too early to do this. He had me pressed against his side, and we both glanced down at everyone.

"Gather around everyone." His voice commanded. The Bright Moon pack has two hundred members; my mother claims there used to be more, but since my father took leadership, the numbers have leveled off. He had expelled a large number of members, forcing them to become rogues or be relocated to other packs. This, however, rendered our pack weaker.

It just means that my father is a bad leader.

The pack open ground was full of pack members.

"It seems like everyone had arrived!" His voice was loud enough for everyone to hear. "My daughter, Paige Almond, met her mate yesterday."

They started cheering, but his loud growl silenced them, and his eyes lightened to a bright yellow. "This is hardly a reason to celebrate; her mate is a criminal. She is a murderer. She murdered numerous innocent people. She is a monster."

I refused to accept it, and after I heard her version of the tale, she became my partner. If what she stated was true, I would reject her. My wolf whined again in my mind.

We have to.

"The culprit's name is Sebastian Vinson, and she will be brought forward to be rejected so she may begin her new life with her new mate, Ryan Golden of the Blood Moon pack."

My eyes expand. "No." I muttered to myself, wanting to cry like a river. Anyone but him. That jerk. He was a young Alpha who had too much pride on his plate. I would be miserable with him, and my wolf, based on her crying, dislikes him as well.

"After her rejection, Sebastian Vinson will be put to death!"

"No!" I screamed above the cheers. "You cannot do that!" My father rapidly drew me away.

"You will be with Ryan; once the full moon appears, he will imprint on you and you two will be together. And that mongrel you call mate will die at my hands."

I sank to my knees. "Father! No! Please! Simply let me reject her and let her go!" I grabbed his legs, but he kicked me away. "You're pathetic. I'm doing this for you. For the pack. With Ryan's support, we can now have someone to assist with everything this pack desires."

"You are just doing this for yourself!" I shouted through tears. "You are selfish!"