17.

-

The storm had stopped, and Valera was shivering as she was soaking wet. Her skin was pale as blood seeped out of her wound, and most of her blood dried on her skin, clinging her shirt to her skin.

She had managed to get herself up and slowly just kept moving. Her body was aching, and her side constantly throbbed in pain.

As she was walking, she noticed the familiar neighborhood, and her heart began to rave in her chest with fear of her father seeing her.

She glanced around frantically before she spotted a familiar house, and she cursed as she stopped in front of a gate.

There were no intercoms, and she didn't even have a cell phone.

She took a deep breath before she grabbed the handles of the gate and started to climb,

She gritted her teeth in pain before she swung herself to the other side, losing her balance, and she fell, roughly hitting the ground.

It had knocked the wind out of here, and she gasped, letting out a small cry before she turned and forced herself to stand up,

Her vision was getting blurry, but she shook it off as she continued to walk.

She stumbled and leaned against the front door, breathing heavily, and she reached for the doorknob, and she twisted it, finding it unlocked.

She let out a small chuckle before she opened the door, stumbling inside, and she closed the door behind her.

She walked over to the stairs, and she gripped the railing as she dragged herself up the stairs, almost tripping as her feet kept getting caught on the steps.

She didn't even realize the bloody mess she was making as she went up the stairs.

She made it up the last step when her body collapsed.

The front door opened, "what the hell?..."

"Oh my god, Val!" Valera let out a whimper, and soon, Topper's face appeared in her line of view.

"What the fuck happened to you? Where's Rafe? Oh my god, you are bleeding all over!" Topper freaked, his hands hovering over Valera's body, not knowing what to do.

Valera grabbed Topper's hand. Her skin was cold against his warm skin, and Topper almost winced at how cold her skin was.

"..don't..let..ward..find me.."Valera's eyes rolled to the back of her head, passing out.

"Val? Valera!" Topper shook her, but she wasn't waking up.

Her chest rose and fell, it was slow, and Topper knew that meant she was almost running out of time.

Topper put an arm under her legs and the other around her upper body before picking her up and taking her to his room.

He gently but quickly put her on his bed, and he rushed into the bathroom , grabbed some towels, and rushed back to Valera. He put the towels on her wound.

The white towels quickly turned red as they soaked up Valera's blood greedily.

Valera needed a hospital. Topper grabbed his phone, but a hand on his wrist stopped him.

Valera was awake, and her breathing was shallow, "No..hospitals."

"You are bleeding badly.. you're gonna need stitches and..doctors, or you're gonna die." Topper told her,

"I can do it.." Valera took a deep breath, "Just give me a med-kit."

"Are you insane, You want to stitch yourself up!?" Topper questioned in disbelief, looking at her as if she grew two heads.

"I am a wanted fugitive, remember?" Topper stared at her for a second before letting out a curse, and he stood up, quickly getting the med-kit before coming back.

Valera whimpered as she lifted her shirt, the dry blood making it a bit more difficult as it peeled off her skin.

She took off her bloody shirt, leaving her just in a sports bra , her body was shivering, and her hands were shaking.

"I think we should move to the bathroom, easier to clean up in the bathtub." Valera muttered out, and Topper nodded, helping her to the bathroom.

Valera settled herself inside of the bathtub,staining the white tub red,

She grabbed a bottle for disinfecting cuts and uncapped it before she gritted her teeth as she poured it over her wound,

It stung, but only for a little bit, and Topper passed her the needle with the thread.

"Here," Topper passed her a clean towel, "to bite down." He told her

"Thanks." Valera put the towel in her mouth before she let out a small groan as the needle pierced her skin.

Tears slid down her face, and she was breathing heavily, whimpers, and cries were leaving her as she slowly stitched herself up, but her vision darkened halfway through.

Her head rolled to the side as her hand dropped to her sides.

"Shit..fuck, no..dammit!" Topper cursed seeing that Valera passed out.

She was almost down stitching herself, and Topper gulped before he grabbed the needle, and he held back from puking as he finished stitching up Valera.

At the last stitch, Topper let out a breath before he rushed over to the toilet, puking.

He was glad Valera was passed out. He didn't want her to see him puking.

After Topper was done, he had moved Valera back to his bed, grabbing an old t-shirt and putting it on her after putting bandages on her.

He covered her with a blanket because her body was shivering.

He needed to clean the bloody mess before anyone saw it. It wasn't like his parents were gonna come home any minute. They were never home.

First, he needed to call Rafe. He hoped he hadn't ditched his phone.

🌊

"..Topper!" Rafe raced into the Thornton house and ran up the stairs, where Topper met him.

"She's still unconscious." Topper told him, and Rafe rushed past him and into Topper's room, where he saw Valera, unconscious.

She was still pale, her chest rising and falling, he saw the blood shirt in the corner, but he paid no mind to it, as he sat next to Valera, reaching out and pushing some of her hair to the side,

He could feel how cold her skin was. It was warming up a bit.

"I don't know what happened, but I just came home and I saw blood, I followed it and I found her on top of the stairs," Topper spoke, his voice full of nerves

"She told me not to let Ward find her."

Rafe snapped his head towards him, "what?"

"That's what she said before she passed out the first time. she said, not to let Ward find her." Topper told him

Rafe looked at Valera, and his body was filled with anger.

"I'm gonna kill him."

".. No.." Valera coughed, "I'm gonna get water." Topper left the room.

"What? Look what he did to you. You could've killed you." Rafe told her,

"I know, but as far as he knows, I'm dead. We have to get the gold back from him," Valera grabbed Rafe's hand in hers,

"We promised wheezie , we can't let her down, not again, not anymore." Valera said,

Rafe looked away from his sister as his eyes watered, and he nodded his head.

"Okay, but once I get the gold, he's dead, he's fucking dead."

Valera squeezed his hand, "I won't stop you."

🌊

1221 words

Thoughts?