20.

-

"....it's not fair, Ward!" A woman's voice shouted, a young Valera sat behind the stairs, listening to the argument that was happening.

"Just calm down, and let's just talk about this." Ward spoke,

"Calm down!? I have let this go for way too long, Ward! Not anymore, you won't change your ways, so I am taking my children, and we are leaving!" The women replied, her voice full of anger.

"No!" Young Valera flinched at the sound of her father's angry shout.

"You will not be taking my children!"

A scoff was heard, "as far as I know, They are my children! Do you know how many times Rafe and Valera keep asking for you!? No, you don't because you ignore them , you only pay attention when it comes to sarah, and I had enough,"

"You are not treating our children equally! And I will not let wheezie go through what you are putting Rafe and Valera through!"

"I said no!"

🌊

Valera jolted upright as a loud bang echoed, her eyes scanning her surroundings, taking deep breaths.

"..val?" Valera snapped her head towards the voice of her brother.

"You alright?" Rafe questioned, placing something down on the table.

Valera let out a deep breath, running a hand through her hair.

"Yeah. What'cha got there?" She asked, wincing a little.

"Well, get your lazy ass up and come see for yourself." Rafe replied,

Valera pulled the blanket off of her and stood up from the couch.

There was a cake on the counter. It was zombie themed this time.

"What's the occasion?" Valera asked, opening the cake and grabbing some frosting with her finger.

Rafe pulled out some candles, "the occasion? Oh, just the day you turn seventeen."

Valera's eyes widened slightly, "Oh my god, I completely forgot about mine and Sarah's birthday! Oh, shit, we have to tell sarah I'm still alive, I can't let her grieve on our birthday."

Rafe shook his head ,"Your friends and Sarah are currently throwing you a birthday party at your grave."

He lights up the candles. "Make a wish."

Valera leaned closer and closed her eyes before blowing out the candles and opening her eyes again.

She smiled at rafe, but it didn't quite reach her eyes, "not gonna ask me what I wished for?"

"No, because then it won't come true." Rafe replied , taking out the candles, and Valera took out a zombie arm that hanging off from the cake and bit into it.

"Ooh, chocolate."

Valera suddenly burst out laughing, and Rafe raised an eyebrow at her.

"You had my funeral on my birthday, and you got me a zombie cake on the day of my funeral." She laughed,

Rafe chuckled, "You said you were obsessed with zombies. The cake was ready, I just didn't know I had to bury you today."

Valera let out a small laugh before she frowned, "You know, I thought my birthday would be different today,"

"I always wished that I had friends to celebrate my birthday, don't get me wrong, you are the best, but I just thought this year would be different, guess not," Valera bit into the chocolate arm, and she smiled at Rafe.

"Let's eat cake," she glanced around as Rafe started to cut the cake.

"Where's Top?" She asked, and Rafe shrugged,

"Don't know, don't care."

Valera grabbed a piece of cake with her hands and started to eat it.

Rafe rolled his eyes at her ,"Why do you always do that?"

Valera shrugged, "Because I don't have a fork, duh, and it's looks really good, I just couldn't wait."

Rafe passed her a fork and a plate. "You are such a messy eater, val."

Valera hummed, placing the cake down on the plate and grabbing the fork.

"...Rafe, can I ask you something?" Valera asked, and Rafe looked at her while stabbing his cake with his fork.

"..do you remember a couple of weeks after wheezie was born, mom just kinda disappeared?" Valera questioned,

Rafe tensed, his hand clenching around his fork. "She left us. She just didn't disappear. She ran off and left us behind with dad."

"What if she didn't?" Valera asked, and Rafe scoffed

"Earlier, when you came in, I was sleeping, but I had this weird dream. It was mom and dad arguing, I was hiding behind the stairs," Valera told him,

"Mom.. she was saying that it wasn't fair how dad was treating us and that he wasn't changing his ways, so... she wasn't about to let wheezie go through what we did,"

"She was going to leave, but she was going to take us with her...then..I don't remember what happened afterward, but mom was going to take us with her." Valera told him

"Maybe she changed her mind." Rafe said,

"What if she didn't?"

"So, what? Do you think dad killed her?" Rafe snapped, his angry gaze meet Valera's.

She wasn't scared of him. She didn't flinch when his angry eyes met her own.

"Dad tried to kill me...I wouldn't put it past him." Valera said, and Rafe sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you," he sighed, shaking his head, "it was weird, you know? The police showed up and told him something, he was crying, then he just told us that mom just up and left us, it was fucking weird but I was so angry that I wasn't thinking clearly."

"I want to find her." Valera told him, and Rafe scoffed, "Good luck with that, If dad killed her, and the police found her body, he probably buried her somewhere where we wouldn't find her."

"I can find out. I'm dead, well, at least people think I am, and I'm almost healed.."

"Bullshit! Your wound is just starting to heal!" Rafe cut her off, and he pointed his fork at her.

"If you even think about it, I am going to stab you with this fork." He threatened

Valera sighed, raising her hand in surrender.

"Okay, I won't."

🌊

1010 words

Thoughts?