25.

-

Valera and Rafe sat in silence. There was a storm outside, lightning cracked at the sky, lighting up the abandoned house.

Rafe was lying on the abandoned dusty couch while Valera was by a window, looking out, watching the rain hit the dirty glass window.

They haven't said a word to each other in hours, but what could they say to each other.

Rafe was still pissed but he wasn't mad at Valera. Not anymore, at least.

He was more upset with himself. He was upset with the fact that he didn't realize that Valera was struggling with mental health issues.

He knew that their family had problems, but he tried his best for his sisters. He made sure they didn't feel sad or like they weren't loved, but he failed.

He failed with Valera because she was going to kill herself, and she was going to leave him behind in this cruel world by himself.

Rafe didn't want to imagine if Valera actually went through with it. If she actually killed herself.

Rafe would be the one to have found her or wheezie. He didn't want to imagine if he did find her or if wheezie found her.

He wouldn't be the same if she did die back then. He would've probably ended up dead a year later.

He didn't want to imagine living in a world without his little sisters.

He felt pressure behind his eyes, and he felt hot tears streaming down his face. He sat up, annoyed by the tears streaming down his face.

He sniffled and wiped his tears with the back of his hand.

Valera looked over as she heard Rafe sniffle. She saw him sitting up, wiping his face with the back of his hand.

She stood up, and she walked over, sitting down next to him before wrapping her arms around him.

Rafe let out a sob, leaning his head on Valera's.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, Rafe." Valera whispered, tears streaming down her own face.

"Please...you can't leave me, val...don't don't leave me." Rafe cried out, and Valera shook her head.

"I won't. I promise you."

🌊

It took Rafe a couple of minutes to calm down before the two sat in silence, just listening to the rain outside.

"Val..can you promise me that if you ever feel like that again, you tell me?" Rafe quietly questioned

"I promise you, Rafe. If I ever feel like that ever again, I'll tell you. You'll be the first to know." Valera promised him with a small smile.

Rafe nodded ,"Good." He ran a hand through his hair, sighing.

There was a noise outside, and the pair of silbings shared a look.

Valera stood up, and Rafe quickly followed, wincing a bit.

They both quietly moved to the door, but the door flung open.

Valera let out a scream of fright as someone appeared in front of her, and whoever was in front of her also screamed.

Rafe pulled Valera behind him, pulling out the gun he had stolen a while ago.

"What!?"

"Oh my god!"

"Why are you screaming!"

"Holy shit!"